DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY Division:
DPS-DIRECTOR'S OFFICE Business Unit:
HR-DPS OFFICE OF CYBER DEFENSE Work Type:
PERMANENT Pay Grade:
GRADE 40 Salary Range:
$63,746.64 - $95,672.16 Recruiter:
KENNETH R SCHULZ Phone:
775 684-0147 Email:
The Department of Public Safety's Office of Cyber Defense Coordination is recruiting to fill an IT Professional III position in Carson City. The mission of the Nevada Office of Cyber Defense Coordination is to serve as the primary focal point for cyber security strategy, policy, planning, and coordination for the State of Nevada. Under limited supervision, this position will be responsible for coordinating with other agencies and departments across the State of Nevada concerning technical issues, cyber intelligence, and cyber incidents/attacks; providing input to cyber security initiatives at the functional, project, or program level; design, establish, and execute cyber security initiatives and programs; and provide technical explanations, interpretations, and recommendations to the Administrator.
The successful candidate will be well versed in multiple security technologies such as firewalls, IDS/IPS, malware analysis, and DLP; familiarity with common reconnaissance, exploitation, and post exploitation frameworks; deep understanding of cyber security concepts and ability to devise and execute appropriate solutions; experience with security industry standards, methodologies, and regulations impacting the security space; analytical with strong problem-solving skills and exercises good, balanced decision making; flexibility to work independently in teams and across the organizational hierarchy; strong oral and written communication skills; and ethical character with a comfortability working with law enforcement and other government agencies.
***The incumbent must be able to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance while employed in this position and business travel may be required up to 25%. Due to fiscal limitations and budget cuts, this position is subject to furlough in 2021. Additionally, due to budget cuts and covid-19 mitigation efforts, this position is temporarily a remote (work-from-home) position. However, some in-person activities are required at the discretion of the Division Administrator.*** To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-7_0//
***THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.***
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, management information systems, or closely related field and three years of progressively responsible professional IT experience relevant to the duties of the position which may include computer operations, systems administration, network administration, database administration, applications analyst and development, and/or information security, one year of which was at the journey level; OR one year of relevant experience as an IT Professional II in Nevada State service; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience as described above.
* International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, Inc (ISC2 ) - Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) is equivalent to three years of experience.
* Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) - Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) is equivalent to two years of experience.
* Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC) - Security Expert is equivalent to two years of experience.
* Other nationally recognized information security certifications may be substituted for up to one year of experience. The Examination Application Evaluation Exam
- The exam will consist of an application evaluation. It is essential that applications include detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. The most qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview. The hiring agency may require specific skills related testing as part of the interviewing process.
- A pre-employment criminal history check and fingerprinting are required.
- A pre-employment State of Nevada FBI background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- A valid driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
- This position requires travel up to 25% of the time.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages.
Nearest Major Market: Carson City
Nearest Secondary Market: Reno