The Position This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
6/7/21, 7/6/21, 8/9/21 (final)
Under general supervision, diagnoses, repairs, maintains, and services gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks. Watch to explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Basic theory, operation, and principles of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Methods, materials, tools, power equipment, and parts used in maintenance and repair of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Repair and service procedures of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Preventative maintenance standards for gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Parts, supplies, and equipment used in the operation, maintenance, and repair of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Automotive emission control systems and standards
- Automotive tune-up procedures
- Automotive mechanical and electronic fuel, cooling, electrical, drivetrain, brake, suspension, transmission, and heating and air conditioning systems
- Standard shop safety procedures
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications Either:
- Recognize and diagnose technical problems of gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Properly repair and maintain automotive equipment, diagnose automotive technical problems and determine appropriate work
- Read and understand automotive operating manual and schematics
- Visually detect conditions that will affect the safe operation of automobiles and light trucks, and accessories
- Establish and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with customers, co-workers, and private repair vendors
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Assess situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Effectively organize and prioritize work assignments
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Safely and properly use hand and power tools and equipment in repairing and rebuilding gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Work safely in and around gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks
- Safely drive gasoline, diesel, natural gas, electric, hybrid, and alternatively fueled vehicles such as automobiles and light trucks to relocate and/or ensure proper working order
- Keep accurate service and repair records
Three years of full-time paid experience diagnosing malfunctions, and repairing and maintaining gasoline, diesel, hybrid or alternatively powered vehicles such as automobiles, light, medium, and heavy duty trucks, buses, or construction equipment.Or:
Three years of full-time, paid experience in the Sacramento County class of Fleet Service Worker.Note:
Coursework from an accredited college, vocational training school, or military training program in Automotive Technology, Diesel Technology, Heavy Maintenance Equipment Repair, or Construction Equipment Repair, or other area or field closely related to the intent of the class may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience on the basis of 2.5 semester units (3.75 quarter units) are equal to one month of experience.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
Criminal History and Background Checks:
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks where authorized by Labor Code section 1024.5, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
Incumbents assigned to the Airport must acquire and maintain an airport security badge allowing access to secure County airport locations.
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, shall be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement.
Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Employees in this class are responsible for providing their own basic set of journey level automotive and equipment repair tools.
Positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Have sufficient sense of smell, vision, touch, and hearing to observe equipment functions for normal and abnormal occurrences and the condition of shop facilities.
- Work in cramped areas and in awkward body positions. Bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, and reach above the shoulder.
- Walk on uneven surfaces; walk up and down stairs.
- Climb ladders to access large pieces of equipment.
- Work while wearing approved personal protective equipment as required.
- Lift, carry, and transport objects weighing up to 100 pounds with or without assistance.
- Distinguish one color from another in order to trace electrical wiring by color coding.
- Read gauges and meters.
- Grasp, manipulate or assemble objects of varying shapes and size with precision and coordination
Individuals who do not meet these requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Positions in this class require the incumbent to:
- Work outside in all types of climatic conditions including inclement or very hot and/or cold weather.
- Be exposed to a typical automotive/heavy equipment repair environment including but not limited to automobile and diesel exhaust fumes, chemicals, hazardous waste, solvents, asbestos, acids and caustics, flammable materials, and welding torches.
- Work around high noise levels.
- Work in close and/or tight spaces which may be extremely hot and/or humid.
- Work on equipment at heights six feet and more above the ground.
- Work day, swing, or graveyard shifts, weekends, holidays, overtime, standby and other non-routine hours.
The probationary period for this classification is six(6)
months.Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response. Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 8/9/2021 5:00 PM Pacific