Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering, Architecture, or in a field related to Engineering, plus eight (8) years of related work experience, including two (2) years of experience which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Licenses or Certifications:
Registered Professional Engineer or Architect.Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
The Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for all in the Austin community.
This Project Management Supervisor will lead the division responsible for project management and delivery of landscape / civil engineering capital improvement projects ( CIP ), and supervise the Facility Construction group responsible for in-house CIP construction.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) will be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to twenty (20) pounds. Work environment includes prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$42.50 - $56.31 per hour Hours
Work/Location Schedule Notes:
Job Close Date
- Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
- May be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
06/21/2021 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
PARD Annex, 919 W. 28th 1/2 Street, Austin, TX 78705 Preferred Qualifications
Preferred Education and Certifications:
- State of Texas Professional Civil Engineer License.
- Project Management Professional ( PMP )® certification.
- LEED or SITES Accredited Professional, or Envision Sustainability Professional ( ENV SP).
- Experience in planning, design and construction management of complex and high-profile parkland or civil engineering projects.
- Experience developing and monitoring schedules and budgets for the design and construction of capital improvement projects.
- Ability to communicate scientific and technical matters to nontechnical individuals; to engage in problem-solving and conflict resolution; to represent the City, and to partner effectively with citizens and development professionals.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Ability to travel to multiple work sites throughout the workday.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assigns projects, establishes schedule, monitors performance of staff, provides guidance and leadership, and ensures project completion within timelines.
Acts as liaison with customers and contractors to ensure customer satisfaction. Coordinates and cooperates with other agencies, departments, divisions, and private utilities involved in or affected by project(s). Represents the City of Austin and Austin Energy to councils, boards, and other regulatory agencies.
Establishes and ensures completion of quality assurance measures by developing, monitoring, and analyzing reports and providing revisions to policies and procedures.
Develops and monitors O&M and/or CIP budgets and responds to any deviations from the approved cost/timeline projections.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of construction management techniques and building operations energy using technologies and project management systems.
- Knowledge of engineering and/or architectural principles, practices, and methods.
- Knowledge of laws, rules, regulations, and codes applicable to project assignment.
- Knowledge of engineering and architectural design principles, practices, and procedures; and estimating techniques.
- Knowledge of budget policies and principles.
- Knowledge of contract policies and procedures.
- Skill in adapting, interpreting, and applying guidelines and standards.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Skill in using available software packages.
- Skill in evaluating contract agreements.
- Skill in writing and interpreting legal descriptions of leases, real estate, easements, and similar properties.
- Skill in negotiating with various audiences to accomplish objectives.
- Skill in written and oral communications including public presentations.
- Skill in completing projects within the required scheduling.
- Ability to make prompt decisions and develop new and relative ideas for providing a quality product and quality customer service with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform all facets of projects such as the coordination of demolition, inspection, security, title clearance, soil testing, site location, property management, and preparation of files for Federal auditing with little or no supervision.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all public contacts and dealings.
- Ability to communicate in oral or written format to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to direct the timely production of project proposals and agreements.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position include graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering, Architecture, or in a field related to Engineering, plus eight (8) years of related work experience, including two (2) years of experience which were in a lead or supervisory capacity and must be a Registered Professional Engineer or Architect. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Please describe how you meet the minimum education and experience qualifications.
(Open Ended Question)
* Are you a registered Professional Engineer or Architect?
* Are you a licensed Professional Civil Engineer in the State of Texas?
* Do you have a Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification?
* Are you a LEED or SITES Accredited Professional, or Envision Sustainability Professional?
* Please describe your experience managing the design and construction of complex and high-profile parkland or civil engineering projects.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience developing and monitoring schedules and budgets for the design and construction of capital improvement projects.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please provide examples of your experience in presenting high profile projects and your ability to communicate effectively technical matters to a variety of audiences, including community stakeholders, executive management, City Council, Boards, Commissions, and media.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* If selected for this position, the relevant work history on your application is used to determine your rate of pay. Your submission of a complete application is critical to the pay calculation. Your overall relevant experience from your employment application will be used in this calculation, not the resume or cover letter. Do you understand these statements?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents