San José State University is searching for an Assistant Vice Provost for Undergraduate Advising and Success (AVP UAS) to lead an exciting initiative to transform undergraduate advising and enhance student success support from enrollment to graduation. The AVP UAS will provide vision, strategic leadership and management focused on improving undergraduate academic advising and campus-wide student support services that lead to educational equity for underserved populations at SJSU. We are looking for candidates with a strong track record of experience working with a diverse student population and who have developed effective strategies that serve historically underserved students as well as first and second-year students, high unit seniors, undeclared students, and students on probation. The AVP will oversee a team of dedicated student success center directors to improve retention, persistence, time to degree/graduation and elimination of equity gaps for undergraduate students. Critical to this role is the partnership with student success programming and leadership in the Division of Student Affairs. As one of the most transformative universities in the nation, SJSU serves approximately 36,000 students and is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley and California.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Oversee Undergraduate Academic Advising and Student Success Initiatives in the Division of Academic Affairs
- Oversee the Directors of the Student Success Centers for advising in the 8 academic colleges, a central Student Academic Success Center, and Athletics Advising
- Chair Academic Advising Steering Committee
- Coordinate probation and disqualification support programs in collaboration with College Success Centers
- Develop and implement advisor onboarding, training and professional development for the undergraduate academic advising community
- Provide an equity and inclusion approach to working with BIPOC as well as other historically underserved communities to the work of academic advising
- Provide leadership and guidance for academic advising initiatives including proactive advising for first and second-year students under a cohort-based caseload model
- Provide strategic oversight for implementing and improving advising communications and campaigns
- Work with Institutional Research to conduct systematic research and assessment of retention efforts throughout campus and produces appropriate reports of such efforts.
- Proactively address equity gaps in graduation rates and retention based on URM status, Pell eligibility, and First-generation status
- Revamp and maintain an Academic Advising Hub website and link that with resources in Student Affairs
- Serve as Co-Executive Sponsor of EAB Navigate with leadership identified in Student Affairs
- A track record of working with BIPOC and other underserved communities, with experience in programming that helps close equity gaps amongst diverse student populations
- A passion for working with students and knowledge of trends and best practices in academic advising and student success
- Demonstrated ability to interpret policy and to consult effectively in resolving difficult student advisement problems across a spectrum of academic issues
- Comprehensive knowledge or ability and eagerness to learn and understand the principles, practices, and procedures of university policies
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, leadership development
- Familiar with PeopleSoft and other campus databases
- Demonstrated success in educating and training faculty and staff regarding academic and/or student progress policies and requirements
- Demonstrated success in facilitating the education of students from a wide range of socio-cultural, language, education and ethnic backgrounds
- Sound knowledge of student development theory and needs of students from low-income, diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, campus community members, and the general public
- Ability to lead, organize, plan, implement and evaluate services, initiatives and programs aligned with academic advising and student success
- Ability to initiate change using a collegial and responsive approach within a fast-paced and innovative higher education environment
- Ability to use research, data and assessment to inform program development and decisions
- Ability to operate department/unit as a team
- Ability to accommodate multiple demands for commitment of time, energy and resources; work quickly under pressure; adapt to changing priorities, situations and demands; and integrate change
- Master's degree required from an accredited institution preferably in student personnel administration, student development theory, higher education administration, counseling, career development or related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience, demonstrating advising, counseling, career development and /or related experience and higher education management experience
- Supervisory experience. (preferred: unionized workforce environment)
- Doctorate degree from an accredited institution preferably in student personnel administration, student development theory, higher education administration, counseling, career development or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience, demonstrating advising, counseling, career development and /or related experience and higher education management experience.
- Supervisory experience. (preferred: unionized workforce environment)
- Experience as an academic advisor and leading an academic advising unit/team
- Experience with EAB Navigate or similar advising management tools
- Experience with student success analytics and a data-driven decision-making approach
- Experience with student success initiatives to increase retention, persistence, graduation rates, equity and inclusion
- Successful partnerships with student affairs and other student support units
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 11, 2021 through June 1, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled