SummaryThis recruitment is now open until filled. The list created from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future Term vacancies. For terms and conditions concerning the appointment of a Term employee, see Section 6.13j of the Butte County Personnel Rules. The current vacancy is a TERM position at Development Services that is set to end on 12/31/2022.
Under general supervision, reviews and evaluates building plans to assure compliance with all building and construction codes and regulation.FLSA: Non-Exempt
NOTE: A training and experience evaluation may be utilized to determine an applicant's ranking among qualified candidates. Based upon information provided in this application including responses to supplemental questions, an applicant's education, training and experience may be evaluated. Applicants should provide thoughtful and thorough responses to supplemental questions as they play an important role in this recruitment process. All qualifying work experience that is described or included in responses to supplemental questions MUST also be included and detailed in the "Work Experience" section of this application. "See Resume" is not an acceptable response for any supplemental question.
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Examines building and structural plans and calculations for compliance and structural integrity; checks plans for load path and determines size and spacing dimensions from roof to foundation; interprets and enforces a variety of codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Reviews building plans to assure that the specifications are correct, complete and adhere to established federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines.
- Consults with architects, engineers, designers, contractors and homeowners concerning deficiencies with structural and non-structural requirements; responds to questions and concerns; resolves problems that arise due to code or structural design.
- Compiles, files and maintains records and reports of plan reviews; computes project cost and permit fees.
- Coordinates plan check activities with outside agencies.
- Prepares and coordinates all aspects of plan checks forwarded to outside consultants; finalizes plans to be disseminated to field.
- Provides training, guidance and assistance to other staff involving basic engineering procedures, plan checking and other related subjects; trains new building inspectors in field inspection procedures as needed.
- Performs field inspections of structures under construction for compliance with approved plans and codes; investigates complaints and provides recommendations to correct areas of concern; conducts follow up actions.
- Performs field inspections; works with and responds to staff and public to address and correct areas of concern that arise during plan check, inspection and construction activities.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent certificate.
- Three (3) years of plan check, engineering or building inspection experience.
- Must possess and maintain certification as Building Inspector or Plans Examiner. Certification in one of the following is desired: Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing Inspector.
- Must obtain certification as a Plans Examiner within one (1) year from date of hire.
- May be required to obtain and maintain Disaster Response Certification.
- Valid State of California driver's License.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Worked is performed in an office environment.
- May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 35 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous