Working Title IST II (Instructional Support Technician II - Chemistry) (2 positions)
Classification Title Instructional Support Technician II
The Instructional Support Technician II will be responsible for providing comprehensive support services to the Chemistry Department's laboratory and research curriculum. The IST II will prepare laboratory facilities prior to use, set up equipment and supplies, fabricate apparatus needed for class use or research projects, maintain inventory of chemicals and supplies, order materials as needed, collect and prepare hazardous waste for disposal, perform routine safety inspections, and arrange for necessary maintenance. The IST II will operate scientific instruments for classes as needed, assist in maintenance and repair of small equipment, and issue and receive chemicals, equipment and supplies.
The position hours are 8 hours per day and vary between 7 am and 9 pm depending upon department scheduling to meet class needs. The position requires someone who can work as a member of a team and can be diplomatic in high pressure situations. May be required to wear a respirator.
FLSA Non-Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is non-exempt, (eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$3,907 - $6,779 monthly
Hiring Range $3,907 - $4,583 monthly
Salary Grade/Range 1
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours 40 hours per week. Monday - Friday; hours will vary from 7am - 9 pm
The Chemistry Department at Sacramento State offers a BS in Chemistry, a BS in Biochemistry, a BA in Chemistry (including concentrations in Biochemistry or Forensic Chemistry), and the MS degree in Chemistry (including a concentration in Biochemistry).
Knowledges and Abilities:
Knowledge of the principles of performing support services; knowledge of the principles, methods, and
techniques related to the discipline and the curriculum; knowledge of the materials and supplies in the
curriculum and the curriculum and their uses.
Ability to plan, organize, and schedule activities; ability to operate technical equipment related to the
discipline; ability to maintain records; ability to adjust and perform simple maintenance of technical and
Equivalent to three years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline,
or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment in a discipline related to the area to which
Equivalent to two years of college with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials,
supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area may be substituted for one year of the
Equivalent to four years of college with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials,
supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area to which assigned may be substituted for two years of the required experience.
1. Knowledge of the principles of performing support services for lower and upper division chemistry courses.
2. Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques related to chemistry laboratory courses.
3. Knowledge of the materials and supplies in chemistry laboratory courses and their uses.
4. Knowledge of laboratory safety, chemical hazards, incompatibilities, chemical storage and handling requirements, chemical waste collection and disposal.
5. Knowledgeable about safe handling of gases, coolants and cryogens.
6. Ability to use equipment related to chemistry lab equipment.
7. Ability to maintain records and inventory control.
8. Ability to adjust and perform simple maintenance of technical and scientific equipment.
9. Ability to adhere to and help enforce department safety standards.
10. Ability to make appropriate work decisions by following or interpreting established policies and procedures and past precedents; ability to identify and solve standard problems, and refer more complex problems to appropriate staff.
11. Ability to work independently; possess self-direction skills to be able to proactively organize work; set priorities; anticipate setbacks; and follow through on the position responsibilities.
12. Team oriented; ability to work in a team-oriented environment and cooperative as a member of the department and organization toward the achievement of its mission and goals.
13. Possess good communication and interpersonal skills to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and external constituencies, both verbally and in writing.
14. Ability to use a variety of current computer software programs including but not limited to Explorer, Outlook, Word and Excel.
15. Ability to lift occasionally move, lift, carry, or position supplies, equipment and or materials up to 50 lbs.
16. Ability to work various hours as needed.
Conditions of Employment
-Ability to pass background check.
17. Bachelor degree in chemistry or related field preferred with at least 24 semester or 36 quarter units in chemistry
18. Three years of experience providing instructional support services in chemistry courses.
19. Ability to assemble scientific glassware.
Ability to lift occasionally move, lift, carry, or position supplies, equipment and or materials up to 50 lbs.
Valid driver's license and maintenance of safe driving record required.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
-Candidate selected will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
Hiring Preference Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit: http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit: http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.htm
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit: http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/
Posting Number AS0900P
Number of Vacancies 2
Open Date 05/21/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 06/04/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Positions work on-site during the COVID-19 campus closure.
Recruitment is open until filled. Priority application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Friday, June 4, 2021.
Contact Name Employment Services
Contact Phone 916-278-6326
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
CSU Careers Website
Chronicle of Higher Education
* How much experience do you have providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline and in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment in a discipline related to the area to which assigned? (Express as a full-time equivalent.)
Less than one year
At least one year but less than two years
At least two years but less than three years
Three years or more
* Do you have the equivalent to two years of college with (at least)16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment in a discipline related to the area?
* Do you have the equivalent to four years of college with (at least)16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment in a discipline related to the area?
* What is the highest level of education attained?
High School Diploma
Documents Needed To Apply
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled