To promote public safety and positive awareness of department policies by maintaining cooperative relations with the general public, City staff and other public and private agencies; to monitor and report on the condition of parks, transportation center, park and ride lots, pertinent facilities and equipment; and to ensure patron safety and comfort.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Senior Public Security Officer, and technical and functional supervision from the professional staff of the Neighborhood Services Department. EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING / LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
- Drive a vehicle to various City facilities and other assigned locations and perform visual surveillance to insure proper use of facilities.
- Patrol assigned area, such as public parking lot or section of city to issue tickets for illegally parked vehicles and other violations.
- Interact with the public through a caring and concerned attitude.
- Assist patrons and provide information regarding City sponsored activities and events.
- Encourage safe activities by informing patrons of City rules and regulations.
- Provide a deterrent to unacceptable behavior by maintaining high visibility at City facilities.
- Assist the Public Safety staff with supervision of on-going activities and programs.
- Maintain a daily log of all interaction with the public.
- Obtain a thorough knowledge of City ordinances that pertain to the assigned site or area.
- Through the use of a hand held radio, maintain communications with other Officers, the Senior Public Security Officer, Public Safety staff, City employees and local law enforcement agencies.
- Check doors and windows of City facilities to make sure they are properly secured.
- Maintain written reports of incidents and communication that takes place during each work shift.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
When assigned to Transportation Center
- Monitor security cameras for safety concerns.
- Provide surveillance of parking lot, train platform, waiting facility and ticket machines.
- Drive golf cart.
When assigned to Park & Ride lots
- Drive city vehicle to various parking lots to provide surveillance of lot and monitor safety concerns.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
- One year of related work experience involving heavy public contact. Experience in enforcement, compliance, conflict management or security highly desirable.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- Safe work practices
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Basic report writing skills.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Comprehend City ordinances as related to the Neighborhood Services Department.
- Think and act quickly, calmly, and accurately in emergency situations.
- Deal effectively and tactfully with the public and skill to interact with diverse groups of people.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include walking, standing, and/or sitting for extended periods of time, operating assigned equipment and working in seasonal weather conditions.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
- Possession of a valid California driver's license and legally required vehicle insurance. Must be able to meet driving record standards set by the city's driving policy.
- Must possess a Guard card or ability to obtain one within six months. Guard card must be kept active and renewed as needed.
- Possession of CPR and First Aid certifications desirable.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous