PH5673DFIRST DAY OF FILING:
Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 8:30 a.m., Pacific Time (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job opportunity
No out-of-class experience will be acceptedDEFINITION:
Provides technical lead to Environmental Health Specialists III and Environmental Health Specialists II working in a specialized, complex environmental health program and provides staff assistance to a Chief Environmental Health Specialist.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class receive administrative and technical supervision from a Chief Environmental Health Specialist, an Environmental Health Services Manager or a Branch Director. Incumbents perform a variety of staff duties as delegated and provide technical lead guidance to Environmental Health Specialists III and Environmental Health Specialists II engaged in inspection, investigation, and enforcement activities designed to achieve compliance with State and local environmental health laws and standards in such areas as food manufacturing and marketing, multiple family dwelling housing and institutions, public swimming facilities, water and sewage systems, water pollution control, garment industry and laundering inspection, vehicle inspection, court liaison/Housing Task Force, and environmental health in mountain and rural areas. Environmental Health Specialists IV perform duties such as planning, scheduling, and coordinating program activities, providing advanced technical judgment and review, and performing the more complex and difficult technical assignments on behalf of and delegated by the Chief Environmental Health Specialist, an Environmental Health Services Manager or a Branch Director.
Essential Job Functions
Provides staff assistance, as directed, by a Chief Environmental Health Specialist in a specialized environmental health program by planning, scheduling, and coordinating activities in accordance with pre-established policies and manpower availability and time requirements established by the Chief Environmental Health Specialist.
Coordinates assignments and interprets and provides training in section policies and procedures to the staff in specialized programs; maintains and reviews records of work performance to evaluate program impact and effectiveness.
Provides technical assistance to the environmental health staff making inspections and investigations in a specialized program by reviewing completed assignments, advising staff on methods and techniques applied, and performing or assisting in the more difficult and sensitive investigations and enforcement activities.
Performs administrative studies of public health laws and ordinances by comparing Federal, State, and local codes in a specific area, such as food service, to determine their impact on environmental health programs and operating methods throughout Los Angeles County.
Act in the absence of the Chief Environmental Health Specialist or Environmental Health Services Manager or upon request in such activities as representing the Department in liaison or public relations activities, conducting compliance reviews, or testifying as an expert witness in court cases, and in responding to letters and complaints, as needed.
Requirements Minimum Requirements:
One year of experience as an Environmental Health Specialist III* in the service of the County of Los Angeles.Certificate Requirement Information:
Certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist issued by the California State Department of Public Health.
- You MUST submit a legible copy of the original certificate or the pocket license as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist issued by the California Department of Public Health with your application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filingto HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.Physical Class:3 - Moderate.
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. Special Requirement Information:
- *Experience as an Environmental Health Specialist III is one who is holding or has held the Los Angeles County title of Environmental Health Specialist III and as a registered environmental health specialist performs specialized environmental health inspections and investigations of complex environmental health problems; or provides lead supervision to field staff who are enforcing environmental health and consumer protection laws by making inspections, initiating investigations and taking appropriate enforcement action for the County of Los Angeles.
- Experience is evaluated on the basis of a verifiable 40-hour work week.
Points will be awarded for additional experience as an Environmental Health Specialist III* in the service of the County of Los Angeles beyond the minimum requirements.
Additional Information Examination Content:
Once we have determined that you meet our experience and certificate requirements described above, our examination process will consist of an evaluation of experience based on application information, desirable qualification and supplemental questionnaire information at the time of filing weighted 100%
Applicants must meet our experience and certificate requirements described above and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination (evaluation of experience) in order to be added to the Eligible Register (hiring list) for consideration of employment.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register (hiring list) does not guarantee an offer of employment.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.Vacancy Information:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. Special Information:
Appointees will be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays. What to expect next:
- We ask that you submit an application through the "Apply" link at the top of the opportunity posting using your own user ID and password (using a family member or friend's user ID may erase a candidate's original application record). Applications must be filed online only. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
- Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
- Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score on the examination (evaluation of experience) will be promulgated to the eligible register (hiring list) accordingly.
Fair Chance Employer:
- The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination (evaluation of experience) will be placed on the eligible register (hiring list) in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of promulgation.
- Computer and Internet Access at Public Libraries: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the County of Los Angeles to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law. All positions are open to qualified men and women pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. The County will follow all of its obligations under State and Federal laws regarding the provision of reasonable accommodations to applicants.
Have any questions about anything? Please contact us using the following information:
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
Exam Number: PH5673D
Department Contact Name: Exam Analyst
Department Contact Phone: (323) 914-8488
Department Contact Email: HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov