(Electrician)This is a Full-Time Temporary Position from July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022MB2021-SA2708
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,600 students.
The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Facilities Maintenance and Operations, the Electrician performs the full range of skilled journey-level electrical and related work as outlined in the series overview. Incumbents in this classification also may provide instruction and lead direction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following :
Other Functions :
- Responsible for the full range of skilled electrical work including the installation, maintenance, modification and repair of electrical apparatuses, equipment and systems. Incumbents inspect, isolate, troubleshoot and repair electrical malfunctions using various test instruments; operate electrical power-generating plants and other electrical equipment and systems; maintain and repair low voltage systems including fire, alarm and access systems; test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency; plan the layout and wiring of new or remodeled installations; fabricate electrical parts; perform incidental welding as necessary to complete electrical work; advise in the selection and storage of electrical equipment; inspect completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations; inspect related work performed by contractors; estimate cost, time and materials for electrical projects.
- Participate in the maintenance and operations of an electrical shop; clean, maintain and service tools and equipment used in the performance of duties; perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures; maintain a safe and clean work environment; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems; operates and maintains computer-based maintenance management system (e.g., TMA); prepare standard reports; and consult and work with other trades workers.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Knowledge
: Work requires thorough knowledge of electrical theory and the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the electrical trade for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical apparatuses, equipment and systems; and a thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the electrical trade, including the National Electric Code and Electrical Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety of the State of California.Abilities
: Must be able to assemble, install, maintain and repair electrical apparatuses; operate all applicable tools and equipment necessary to perform skilled electrical work; read, interpret and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications; make rough sketches; estimate the cost, time and materials of electrical work; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and computerized record-keeping systems; prepare standard reports; provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations; read and write at a level appropriate to the position; and perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
These abilities normally would be acquired through any combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard electrician's apprenticeship program. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
Five or more years of experience as a journey-level Electrician. Technical fluency with Banner, Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check)
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property; responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access; and access to controlled or hazardous substances.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Required to work indoors and outdoors in University buildings and grounds year-round, including inclement weather. Includes working in the presence of loud noise, vibration, dark and/or confined spaces, moving mechanical parts, automobile exhaust, dust, chemical and paint fumes. Work may involve exposure to hazardous materials, and risk of being exposed to fire and electrical shock. Requires travel between campus offices and to off-campus locations. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Position requires full range of motion, and a variety of movements necessary to perform strenuous manual labor, including but not limited to lifting and moving moderate sized equipment up to 10 to 50 pounds (moving up to 100 pounds is required rarely). Position requires bending, climbing, reaching, moving heavy objects and equipment, and applying force. Requires use of a video display terminal. Standard vision requirements with/without corrective aides: Close (clear vision at 20 inches or less); Distance (clear vision at 20 feet or more); Color (ability to identify and distinguish colors); Peripheral; Depth Perception; Ability to adjust focus. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Temporary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Teamsters Local 2010
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: mid $5,000 per month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R06
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.A FFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled