(Laborer)This is a Full-Time Temporary Position from July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022 MB2021-SA2711 Apply Today! Open until filled. Initial Priority Screening Begins: Monday, June 14, 2021
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,600 students.
The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE :
The primary purpose of this position is to perform general, unskilled manual labor. Under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Maintenance and Operations and day-to-day work direction of the Shipping & Receiving and Warehouse Lead and/or the Facilities Project Supervisor, the Laborer performs regular strenuous manual labor involving various types of work, related tasks or logical assignment to this classification. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following : Moving Services/Shipping and Receiving:
- Move, transport, load and unload heavy objects such as furniture, equipment, materials and supplies.
- Use a motor vehicle to transport and deliver heavy or other items.
- Clean assigned areas including such activities as removing construction debris; cleaning gutters, culverts, and other drainage structures; power washing assigned areas; sidewalks, entry ways, stairways, interior and exterior windows, roadsides, streets, and related areas; cleaning applicable equipment; and assisting in other cleaning projects.
- Remove and haul waste and recyclables from areas of central aggregation.
- Coordinate with facilities help center for work-orders from various campus department.
- Assist crafts and construction workers by performing unskilled tasks such as preparing work areas, performing rough repair work, tearing down structures, patching pavement, performing pick and shovel work.
- Assist in grounds maintenance, including such activities as pruning, trimming and spraying trees and shrubbery; removing undergrowth and debris; and using a spade, hoe, or rake to prepare or clean assigned areas.
Special Event Support:
- Operate and perform basic preventive maintenance on appropriate hand and powered equipment and tools, supplies, and materials
- Assist in campus event set-up.
Other Functions :
- Special events, and special clean-up sites.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; follow verbal and written instructions to ensure safety; perform regular strenuous manual labor; and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds. Possession of a valid California driver's license. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
One year of experience performing general manual labor or working in a warehouse or shipping and receiving facility. Experience operating propane-powered and electric forklift, other materials handling equipment, pickup truck with power lift gate, and motor vehicles (one-half to two ton capacities). Ability to: communicate in a professional manner; keep simple records and prepare simple reports; match names and numbers, and make arithmetical computations quickly and accurately; spell correctly; and apply safe methods for lifting and moving heavy supplies and equipment. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse academic environment.
Ability to: use PeopleSoft or equivalent management information system and utilize modern shipping and receiving technologies. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access; and responsibility for operating commercial vehicles, machinery or equipment that could pose environmental hazards or cause injury, illness, or death.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- Due to the nature of the work, this position requires the ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Maintenance environment with a high level of background noise. Position requires working indoors in university buildings, outdoors, and on campus grounds year-round, including during inclement weather. Includes working in the presence of loud noise, vibration, dark and/or confined spaces, moving mechanical parts, dust, automobile exhaust and paint fumes. Requires the use of a video display terminal and standard office equipment. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
Position requires full range of motion to perform strenuous manual labor, including but not limited to, lifting and moving moderate sized equipment up to 50 pounds (moving up to 100 pounds is required rarely) with the use of moving equipment. This position also requires sitting, standing, bending, climbing, reaching, pushing, pulling, applying force, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Temporary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Operations & Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: High $2,000's per month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R05
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled