This is a part-time, at-will position exempt from the classified service. This recruitment process is open on a continuous basis and may close at any time. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Only online applications will be accepted for this recruitment. The first review of applications will be completed on Tuesday, June 15, 2021
. Applications received after June 15, 2021
, may not be considered. Applicants appearing best qualified based upon a review of the application and responses to supplemental questions will be invited to participate in the testing process.
The Recreation Specialist is distinguished from the Senior Recreation Leader for its responsibility for planning, organizing, scheduling and giving direct leadership and supervision for classes in a specialized phase of the recreation program or working in a specialized area in the department. This classification is further distinguished from Senior Recreation Leader in its responsibility for a broader range of recreation activities and services. The Recreation Specialist may be required to perform some or all of the following essential job duties: Essential Job Functions
Display courteous and professional behavior and customer service toward all patrons, other employees and supervisors.
Respond promptly and courteously to inquiries from the public, outside agencies and employees.
Effectively communicate verbally and in writing to supervisor and staff.
Assist with special event preparations and work the day of the event if assigned.
Assists general recreation staff in the conduct of the activities compromising the specialty.
Develops and maintains necessary specialized facilities and materials.
Coordinates the specialized activity program with other recreation programs.
Registers participants and books facilities if required.
Plans a logical sequence of activities to fit the abilities and interests of participants.
Keeps records of attendance and participation; promotes participation in recreation programs and community service programs.
Effectively communicate to participants/patrons.
Supervise, train and evaluate general Recreation Staff. Assist with staff scheduling and shift coverage, as needed.
Assist with the general facility operations.
Monitor and maintain a clean and safe work environment, department equipment and supplies.
Monitor and report abuse or maintenance needs at parks and recreation facilities, including vandalism and graffiti.
Ensure the safety of all Park patrons and visitors on a daily basis through effective supervision.
Enforce park Rules, Department Policy, and City Municipal Code, as necessary.
Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of parks and recreation facilities.
Assist in sports and recreational programming, organizing and implementing new programs, classes and camps.
Develops and/or monitors program budget and expenses to ensure proper resource allocation.
Ensure that Incident/Accident Reports are properly filled-out and are submitted in a timely fashion.
Assist Contract Instructors with the day-to-day needs of each program.
Assist with coordinating and scheduling field, facility and picnic reservations.
May be required to work weekends and holidays.
Observe all City rules and regulations.
Perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to completion of AA or higher college degree with specialized training in a particular field of recreation activity, and 3 or more years of experience as an instructor or leader specific to the program or area assigned. LICENSE/CERTIFICATION
Within six months of hire, obtain First Aid, CPR and AED Certifications through American Red Cross. Knowledge of:
Basic principles and purposes of recreational activity; methods, equipment and terminology in the particular recreation specialty. Ability to:
- Plan, organize and conduct various recreational, and cultural activities, events, and programs for all ages.
- Prepare for scheduled activities, events, and programs and ensure that required paperwork, equipment and other materials are in order.
- Plan and direct group activities aimed at developing appropriate group interaction encourage a sense of team work and fairness, interpersonal communication skills, and cooperation and ensure that order and discipline are maintained during recreational activities
- Assure proper set-up of facility and safety of program participants; ensure proper procedures are followed in program activities, both with regard to safety and program goals.
- Promote and publicize programs; prepare marketing material including flyers, schedules of events, brochures and activity guides.
- Ensure proper behavior on the part of program participants; takes disciplinary action as needed; Respond quickly to potential hazardous situations and accidents; prepare reports related to incidents.
- Supervise and coordinate the work activities Rec Leader II and Rec Assistant staff, such as training staff members and assigning work duties.
- Encourage participants to develop their own activities and leadership skills through group discussions.
- Assist with innovation, planning, promotion, implementation and evaluation of programs, activities and special events.
- Respond to issues, concerns and complaints and resolve in a satisfying manner.