Notes to Applicants
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have 1 year of experience in the assigned area.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
The purpose of the General Maintenance Worker I position is to provide general maintenance services to City of Austin Parkland. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform park grounds maintenance.
- Park Servicing:
- Perform trimming and blowing of lose debris.
- Performs minor repairs/construction on assigned equipment.
Multiple Work Sites:
- Walter E Long/Decker Lake: (Park Servicing - 3 positions)
6614 Blue Bluff Road, Austin, 78724
- Emma Long Park: (Park Servicing - 2 positions)
1600 City Park Road, Austin, 78730
- North Grounds Maintenance (North Maintenance - 1 position)
9608 Decker Lane, Austin, 78724
- North Grounds Maintenance (North Service - 3 positions)
9608 Decker Lane, Austin, 78724
- Fiesta Gardens: (South Mowing and Servicing - 1 position)
2101 Jesse E. Segovia St, Austin, 78702
- Zilker Metropolitan Park (Park Servicing - 1 position)
2105 Andrew Zilker Rd., Austin, 78704
- Walnut Creek Metro Park (North Mowing - 2 positions)
12138 N Lamar Blvd. Austin, 78753
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds. Work environment includes inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme temperatures, and hazards associated with equipment operation including fumes, oils, gases and mists. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates may be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitments.
- If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you will drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- 90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- All PARD work site locations are tobacco-free.Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$15.00 per hour. Hours
Work/Location Schedule Notes:
Job Close Date
- Various Shifts and Hours - including holidays, weekends, and evenings.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
- May work up to 40 hours per week.
08/15/2021 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various City of Austin Parks Preferred Qualifications
- Experience related to grounds keeping or general labor services in a park-like setting.
- Experience using hand tools, powers tools and other maintenance equipment including but not limited to, leaf blowers, string-line trimmers, walk-behind curb edgers, and large mowers.
- Experience providing customer service in a park or park-like setting.
- Experience with minor plumbing repair.
- Experience in minor carpentry repair.
- Experience in using cleaning materials.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Pick up litter and service restrooms.
- Perform grounds keeping and grounds maintenance tasks.
- Operate hand tools.
- Operate power tools.
- Assemble and dismantle portable stages and seating arrangements.
- Perform routine cleaning of facilities.
- Assist the public with questions/concerns.
- Assist with graffiti or paint removal.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: None. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of general grounds keeping processes, policies and procedures within the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Knowledge of equipment used in grounds keeping or other related work.
- Knowledge of minor construction.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to operate power tools.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment or materials applicable to the assigned work.
- Ability to read and follow floor plan sketches and diagrams.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* To be considered for this position, you must be 18 years of age and have at least one (1) year of experience in the assigned area. Do you meet these requirements?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
* How many years of experience do you have related to grounds maintenance or park maintenance services?
- 1 - 2 years
- 2 - 3 years
- 3 - 4 years
- 5 or more years
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple work sites throughout the work day?
* Please indicate your worksite preference. If no preference, list 'open'. Decker Lake: Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park at 6614 Blue Bluff Road Emma Long Park: 1600 City Park Rd, Austin, TX 78730 Decker Maintenance (North District Parks) 9608 Decker Ln, Austin, TX 78724 Fiesta Gardens: 2101 Jesse E. Segovia St, Austin, TX 78702 Zilker Metropolitan Park: 2100 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704
(Open Ended Question)
* This position is a temporary part-time position, that will be scheduled to work 20-40 hours per week. Hours and days vary based on the facility needs. The person selected will be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs; and also may be required to work evenings, weekend, & holidays. Can you work on the days and hours as noted?
* This is a multi-position job posting and you may or may not be notified when the job posting closes.
- Yes, I understand I may not be notified when the job posting closes.
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Resume