Description DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The County of El Dorado , Department of Transportation is responsible for funding, designing, building, operating, and maintaining the County Road System. El Dorado County's Road System currently consists of approximately 1083 centerline miles of paved roadway, 76 bridges, a multitude of storm drainage systems, and related transportation facilities.
The Department of Transportation has two main priorities:
1. Ensuring that our roads are safe for public use with due care in a manner in which it is reasonably foreseeable that they will be used, and
2. Preserving and maintaining the public's multi-billion dollar investment in our roads, bridges, and other facilities. MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS DIVISION
The Maintenance and Operations Division is composed of Road Crews, Fleet Services, Equipment Mechanics, and Traffic Control Crews. This dedicated team manages the repair, maintenance, and replacement of existing County roadway and drainage infrastructure. It is also responsible for the maintenance of all 1083 centerline miles of roadway in the County. THE OPPORTUNITY
Put your knowledge and experience into operating road striping equipment, painting traffic control markings on pavement; fabricating, installing, repairing and maintaining traffic warning and other sings. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Fabricate, paint and install traffic control signs, legends, symbols and devices in accordance with traffic and vehicle control codes and ordinances; remove and replace sign posts with jackhammer, shovel and/or post hole diggers and pour concrete to anchor posts; affixes signs to posts at proper height.
- Operate vacuum applicator to affix facing and lettering to sign blanks.
- Prepare stencils, spaces and aligns stencils and paints road surface control legends; apply reflective, rumble and other raised pavement surface markings.
- Perform and assist in the installation of traffic warning, speed control, and other signs; paint traffic guards, barricades and raised traffic bars on pavement.
- Fabricate, maintain and stock signs and materials; fabricate or refurbish signs as necessary.
- Operate and maintain a variety of hand and power tools, including air compressors, airless spray guns, vacuum equipment, drill press, brushes, line eraser, center line machine, stencils, drills, pavement breakers, rivet guns, ladders, etc.
- Drive paint and sign trucks and operates auxiliary equipment; maintains vehicles in clean, safe operating condition; reports needed repairs.
- Observe safe driving and work practices; use safety equipment and devices; secures worksite from traffic and other hazards; attends safety meetings.
- Keep basic records related to work performed, materials used and markings placed.
- Perform snow removal, ice control and storm patrol duties as assigned.
- Operate and maintain a specialized road striping vehicle with multiple air, hydraulic and airless paint systems and a glass bead dispensing system to paint striping and reflective beads on roads in accordance with relevant codes and ordinances; mix paint, loads truck tanks and load truck with necessary equipment and supplies; inspect equipment for safe operating condition.
For a full description of duties and responsibilities please review the job description here . THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Department of Transportation is looking for an individual that has demonstrated skill and knowledge in
traffic control maintenance, repair and construction The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a wide variety of hand, power, and shop tools and equipment used in the maintenance and repair and construction of roads and have experience related to safe work practices and safety regulations pertaining to the operations and transportation of the equipment and work construction zones. The incumbent will possess a positive attitude and enjoy completing projects with the maintenance team while working independently without close supervision. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Human Resources will assess your application to determine if you are minimally qualified using the following minimum qualifications: Level I:
Six months of experience as a laborer in maintenance or construction work.Level II:
In addition to the above, one year of experience in traffic control maintenance and construction work at a level equivalent to the County's class of Traffic Control Maintenance Worker I.Level III:
Two years of experience in traffic control maintenance and construction work at a level equivalent to the County's class of Traffic Control Maintenance Worker II AND
passage of the performance examination for this classification.
Other Requirements Must regularly lift and carry objects weighting up to sixty (60) pounds and perform sustained physical labor. Must be willing to work out of doors in all weather conditions and to work with exposure to heavy traffic and other hazards. Must be willing to work overtime with exposure to heavy traffic and other hazards. Must be willing to work overtime and off-hours shifts in emergency situations.
Traffic Control Maintenance Worker I must possess a valid driver's license.
Traffic Control Maintenance Worker II/III
must possess a valid Class B driver's license and must acquire a Tanker Certificate within six months of hire or promotion date. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Apply online by clicking on the 'Apply' link at the top of this announcement. When your online application and responses to the required supplemental questions are complete, click 'Accept'.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, contact Sera Salmanyan in Human Resources at email@example.com RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Human Resources Department will screen all applications to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment process. Training and Experience Review (Weighted 100%):
A training and experience review consists of candidates responding to supplemental questions on the job application. A subject matter expert will evaluate each candidate's responses based on predetermined criteria. The subject matter experts are not granted access to the candidate's application; therefore, responses to the supplemental questions should be thorough, detailed, and complete.
For more information on the recruitment process click here .
Based on the hiring department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
The County of El Dorado is recruiting applicants for Traffic Control Maintenance Worker I/II/III. This recruitment will establish a list for the purpose of filling current and future full time, part time and extra help vacancies for at least three (3) months. There are currently two (2) extra help vacancies in the Department of Transportation, Maintenance Division located in Placerville, CA.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
The County of El Dorado is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Many job classifications require pre-employment medical screening. Depending on the job classification, medical screening may include testing for drugs, including but not limited to marijuana; a positive test may result in revocation of an employment offer.
Not just rustic mining towns and historic sites - Today El Dorado County is a year-round vacation destination overflowing with outdoor adventure, inviting agritourism locations, enriching family activities, and a proud Gold Rush history. Escape the traffic and smog because El Dorado County is just:
- 40 miles to Downtown Sacramento
- 50 miles to Sacramento International Airport
- 129 miles to San Francisco
Here are a few of the many activities and events available throughout El Dorado County:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
- Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Live Music and Music Festivals
- Local Craft Breweries and Wineries
- El Dorado County Fair
- Placerville Speedway Races
- Farm to Fork Restaurants
- Local Shopping Gems
Closing Date/Time: Continuous