Police Officers for the San José State University Police Department are fully sworn State of California peace officers per 830.2(c) PC and are part of the California State University Police system. Officers have full peace officer powers anywhere in California. The incumbent will respond to calls for service on and around the SJSU campus. Through preventive patrol by vehicle, bicycle, motorcycle and foot, officers enforce state laws, city ordinances and university regulations. Police Officers conduct criminal and traffic investigations, make arrests, prepare necessary documents and testify in court. Officers also provide for the safety and security of the campus community. 2021-2022 UPD Hiring Drive
$10,000 Signing Bonus, inquire for detailsKey Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Patrol campus buildings and grounds by foot or by vehicle.
- Control crowds during assemblies or disturbances.
- Enforce laws and traffic regulations and apprehend violators, which include enforcing parking regulations and issuing traffic citations.
- Investigate and prepare reports on accidents, property damage, fires, law violations, and disturbances of the peace.
- Gather evidence, make arrests and appear in court as required.
- Administer first aid to injured persons.
- Police Officers may receive training and/or be delegated responsibility for additional work assignments
- Knowledge of current law enforcement methods, techniques and procedures, criminal codes and laws, and investigating techniques and procedures.
- Effective interpersonal skills to resolve a wide variety of sensitive situations
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write clear and comprehensive reports
- Ability to think and act effectively in emergency and sensitive situations
- Ability to wear a uniform and utility belt
- Ability to maintain composure in highly stressful and sometimes volatile situations.
- Ability to perform in a detailed-oriented environment
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- US citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment to a sworn position
- Ability to maintain a valid California Driver's License
- Minimum passing T-score of 320 on the WSTB physical agility test
- Must meet the following California Government Code requirements, including pre-employment polygraph, psychological, and medical examinations.
- Ability to be free of any felony conviction and be free of any misdemeanor crime containing the elements of domestic violence (Government Code Section 1029(a) (1)).
- Ability to be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation Government Code Section 1031(d)).
- Ability to be free of any physical, emotional, and mental conditions that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer (Government Code Section1031 (f)).
- Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent
- Graduated from a Basic Academy or employed as a full-time CA peace officer within the last three years. Pass the Physical Agility - W.S.T.B. Exam with a minimum score of 320 and successful completion of the 1.5 mile run. Assessment Testing Information for the South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium can be found at the following website: https://theacademy. ca.gov/tests
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.Preferred Qualifications
- 60 college semester units or equivalent
- POST Basic Certificate of higher
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese
Classification: Police Officer
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,997/month
Hiring Range: $4,963/month - $7,669/month 2021-2022 UPD Hiring Drive
$10,000 Signing Bonus, inquire for details
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- POST Basic Certificate or proof of completion of the Police Academy or POST waiver document
- WSTB Score
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: June 14, 2021 through July 5, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled