The Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) leads graduate admissions and operations and oversees the team dedicated to processing Cal State Apply applications, graduate document submission, and the completion of applications which follow the guidance of Title 5, CSU and University policy. In collaboration with the Director of GAPE, this position has responsibility for assisting in maintaining strategic initiatives to best serve a growing population of diverse graduate students and acts as the primary liaison for departments serving graduate students, as well as managing admissions operational components to ensure excellence in service; including implementing strategic goals and initiatives to enhance graduate student success and customer service. This position assists in ensuring excellence in serving the needs of graduate students, innovative utilization of technology, efficiency in operations, assessment of service delivery and incorporation of best practices for admissions and graduation. Reporting to the Director for Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations, this position assists in responsibility for managing the eligibility requirements of domestic and international applicants; supervising and training professional staff members and student assistants; collaborating with graduate advisors and coordinators; managing logistics for graduate degree programs; and implementing short-term strategic goals as assigned by the Director of the GAPE Office.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Assist in the responsibility of operational efficiency for the upcoming academic year, in collaboration with the academic programs and colleges
- Ensure a high level of customer service of admissions for each academic year by assisting with the oversight of admissions operations and data systems, and in relation to effective evaluation practices
- Assist in developing and implementing strategic initiatives to ensure the smooth transition of students from admissions through to enrollment and retention
- Assist in ensuring the efficiency of operation for admissions, application download, test score loading, and other related technical requirements in collaboration with the Director and appropriate admission associates
- Collaborate with campus business analysts to implement new initiatives impacting incoming graduate students, test scores, application download, and system integration in relation to application completion and evaluation
- Assist in overseeing, analyzing, planning, and implementing the full range of operations concerning graduate admission, Cal State Apply, academic and administrative requirements for the California State University and SJSU
- Support and co-create strategic input for technological opportunities to streamline admissions and retention activities
- Assist in implementing new policies/procedures regarding graduate students in collaboration with the College of Graduate Studies, AVP/Associate Dean and College Deans/Associate Deans related to the successful operation of admissions and progress to degree
- In collaboration with the ISSS office, oversee the issuance of I-20 visas, including the training of additional staff for the delivery of I-20 visas
- Supervise, train, and evaluate the performance of 4 professional staff, including 1 work lead and 3 data specialists that work closely with domestic, international and non-resident applicants and students
- Provide advisement and training to academic advisors on the handling of new applications in Peoplesoft and related systems
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of students, campus employees and the general public
- Ability to directly and effectively supervise employees
- Ability to train others on relevant aspects of this position
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to plan and execute multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to carry out a variety of complex assignments without detailed instructions
- Ability to identify and determine cause of problems; develop and present recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on complex student-related matters
- Ability to determine appropriate courses of action and proper techniques to utilize while engaged with individuals in personal interactions
- Knowledge of student admissions administration principles, practices, and methods
- Knowledge of computer skills with emphasis on spreadsheets and report generation.
- Knowledge of graduate studies policies and procedures related to admission, candidacy and graduation evaluation
- Knowledge with international student admissions with preference for experience at the graduate level
- Knowledge in utilizing student information systems, with preference given to PeopleSoft experience
- Knowledge of software applications including word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Knowledge in complying with admission policies and procedures related to federal, state and campus rules and regulations
- Bachelor's degree
- Five years' progressively responsible full-time professional student services work experience in a higher education environment
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Counseling, Behavioral Sciences, Organizational Change, or related field.
- One year of full-time experience in a graduate admissions office with direct exposure to working with graduate students, preferably within higher education
Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 26, 2021 through May 10, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled