Description The City
The City of Santa Clara is a "full service" city - one of only a few communities in the Bay Area that has its own police, fire, library, recreation, and electric, water, and sewer utilities, as well as all of the other departments and civic amenities expected in a thriving community. Santa Clara is a family-oriented and business-friendly city, led by a city government that has developed an award-winning ethics program and a commitment to fostering public trust. Located in Santa Clara County at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay, about 45 miles south of San Francisco, Santa Clara is a strategic regional hub, convenient to freeways, airports, railroads, expressways, light rail, and other public transportation. The Department:
The Parks Division provides planning, development, operation, maintenance, and rehabilitation of City parks and open spaces. The Recreation Division provides classes and programs for all ages and abilities. We aim to promote the use of safe, clean, and attractive facilities for enjoyment and quality of life for all ages and abilities. The Cemetery Division maintains 33,000 internment sites in a peaceful public park. The Position:
Providing customer service at Recreation Facility Front Desk (CRC, YAC, Senior Center, Reed & Grant Sports Park, Warburton and ISC Pools). The job responsibilities include data input, processing program registrations, opening and closing the desk reception area and keeping accurate records of daily sales. Daily check in of patrons, adhering to established protocols and ensuring the safety of customers as they enter and exit the facilities. Work assignment shifts will include, days, evenings and weekends.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
As an as-needed employee, this is an "at-will" position and there is no guarantee of hours. Hours are limited to 999 in a fiscal year or 960 hours in a fiscal year for retired CalPERS annuitants
The Recreation Office Assistant has an emphasis on performing a variety of clerical and customer service duties at a recreation facility. An incumbent in this classification is responsible for demonstrating a high level of customer service while performing basic clerical duties including financial transactions, maintaining documents, and assisting others. Assignments are generally limited in scope, contain fairly routine duties, and are performed within a procedural framework established by higher-level employees.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
• Greets employees, visitors, and the public, assisting with routine inquires and requests and providing a high level of customer service
• Answers telephone calls, providing routine information, taking messages, and routing calls to the appropriate destination
• Maintains and updates records including attendance, inventory, and basic financial transactions; files and retrieves files, forms, inventories, logs, and other documents
• Registers program and class participants; enters data into and retrieves data from standard business software, databases, and online systems; posts a variety of information on forms, records, reports, and files
• Makes reservations for recreation facilities
• Maintains office area; creates and arranges program displays
• Orders, maintains, and distributes a variety of supplies and equipment; maintains and monitors invoices and purchase orders; maintains simple inventory records
• Opens and closes facility in accordance with established procedures
• Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Graduation from high school or possession of a GED; and
• Six (6) months of general clerical or customer service experience; and
• Must be at least 18 years of age at time of application
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES
• Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license is desirable
• As a condition of employment, incumbents will be required to be fingerprinted in accordance with State of California law
• Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test. Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of Santa Clara will not sponsor, represent, or sign documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Modern office practices, procedures, and methods, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment
• Operate personal computer hardware and software and a variety of standard office equipment
• Communicate clearly and effectively in English in person, over the telephone, and in written correspondence
• Demonstrate sensitivity, tact, and excellent customer service while interacting with others
• Issue and follow oral and written instructions
• Exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines
• Organize, coordinate, and complete duties to meet scheduled deadlines
• Perform routine arithmetic calculations
• Prepare, maintain, and reconcile routine accounting and numerical records
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals
• Lift and carry objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Applications must be filled out completely (i.e. do not write "see resume or personnel file.") To receive consideration for the screening process, candidates must submit a 1) Cover Letter and, 2) Resume.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Application packets may be submitted online through the "Apply Now" feature on the job announcement at www.santaclaraca.gov
. This position is continuous or open until filled: Applications will be reviewed on July 16, 2021 and on a bi-weekly basis for consideration to the position. If you are interested in applying you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, before the position is closed.
The City of Santa Clara is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings will be considered without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful under any federal, state or local laws. The City of Santa Clara is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at (408) 615-2080 or HumanResources@santaclaraca.gov