Working Title Associate Dean for Graduate Studies (Administrator III) (Preference to current CSU System employees)
Classification Title Administrator III
The Associate Dean of Graduate Studies is a member of the Graduate Dean's Leadership Team and serves as an academic and administrative officer for graduate education in support of student success, academic excellence, community success, and inclusivity. As determined by the Dean this position works under broad, administrative direction with significant responsibility in planning, organizing, and managing services associated with academic advising, outreach/admissions, degree services, academic student employment, orientation, career planning, academic support, and student discipline. Responds to inquiries from graduate coordinators, academic department chairs, educational institutions, the community, students, and/or external agencies and supervises academic professional, administrative support, and technical/support staff, in addition to general oversight of academic student employees.
As determined by the Dean, the primary responsibilities for the Associate Dean include administrative duties that support the Dean's Office in its efforts to position the Graduate School for successful implementation of its strategic plan as related to academics, graduate enrollment, research and advancement success goals and objectives. Also included is assessment/creation of new graduate degree programs and certificates; maintaining faculty requirements for advising and graduate program viability; oversight of graduate student research endeavors, and graduate student development and mentoring initiatives.
In concert with individual academic college associate deans, the position's additional duties include development of innovative strategies to increase graduate student enrollment and retention, expand faculty/student participation in scholarly research/activity, such as conference presentations, publishing, etc.; and, in conjunction with selected Graduate Dean's Office personnel, management of financial resources, including university, state, government & private allocated for graduate student programs and research development. Under the direction of the Dean, other duties include administration of the Graduate School's standing committees; leading graduate faculty and graduate student professional development workshops; and overseeing faculty development efforts related to graduate education. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to, engaging in university-wide accreditation and assessment procedures for institutional and program learning outcomes; service to the graduate education community on campus and to the university as needed.
FLSA MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Classification Salary Range
$6,250 - $18,750 monthly
Hiring Range $9,500-$12,000 per month
Salary Grade/Range 1
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm and additional hours/days as needed
California State University, Sacramento offers over 40 graduate degree programs, including a joint doctorate in Public History with UC Santa Barbara and an independent doctorate in educational leadership and policy. Our mission is to provide quality post-baccalaureate programs, set and maintain high academic standards for graduate courses and degree programs, and to contribute to the prosperity and welfare of the Sacramento region and the State of California.
California State University, Sacramento has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for admissions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. The University is
committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. This includes reporting crime and fire safety information, as per the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act (See http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/).
Graduate Studies serves as the admissions office for all graduate students on campus. Graduate Studies reviews graduate applications, receives application fees and transcripts, enters graduate student information into the student record system, and coordinates distribution of application forms and information. Graduate Studies also serves as a resource for graduate and research assistantships, scholarships, and grants.
Education and Experience
1. Possession of an earned doctorate and eligibility for a senior faculty appointment;
2. Five years of leadership experience in a university setting;
3. Successful teaching experience and record of research or scholarly activity in one or more of the disciplines in a University setting;
4. Experience with assessment of program learning outcomes;
5. Experience in shared faculty governance;
6. Evidence of successful personnel and fiscal resource management in a unionized environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Demonstrated commitment to and experience with:
7. Achieving the Graduation Initiative goals;
8. Facilitating forward thinking and articulating mission appropriate vision for graduate curricula;
9. Being a strong advocate for graduate education as a member of an academic leadership team, and in partnership with other units in the University;
10. Commitment to hiring and retaining diverse, inclusive faculty, staff, and administrators;
11. Working with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population and implementing practices to ensure a more inclusive learning and working environment;
12. Supporting excellence in teaching, scholarship and creative activities, service, and student success via professional development of graduate faculty and staff;
13. Developing and supporting activities that support the Anchor Institution role of the university, such as community-based teaching, scholarship, and service.
14. Partnering with faculty, the Office of Research, Innovation and Economic Development and University Advancement to cultivate external support via grants, contracts, and other potential funding sources.
15. Using data to expand graduate research and improve student support programs.
Demonstrated Skill in:
16. Mediating conflict;
17. Supervising and providing leadership to staff;
18. Developing, recommending, implementing, and monitoring policies, procedures, and work flow;
19. Conducting research to identify solutions, resolve problems, or provide information;
20. Developing and managing a budget;
21. Coordinating the preparation and publication of a variety of reports and/or promotional materials;
22. Developing and facilitating information sessions, presentations, and/or workshops;
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Ability to successfully pass background check.
23. Understanding of and appreciation for graduate education across disciplines;
24. Experience with and commitment to interdisciplinary programs and scholarship;
25. Experience in administration of graduate admissions, including successful recruitment campaign strategies;
26. Experience in developing graduate student life and professional development programming;
27. Skills in the identification and securing of external funding sources;
28. Experience with a commitment to undergraduate pathways into post-baccalaureate study;
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Hiring Preference Not Applicable
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position may include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate may be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter."
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/benefits/disability-parental-leave.html#reasonable-accommodations-interactive-process .
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.html .
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery.
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Posting Number AS0917P
Number of Vacancies 1
Open Date 07/02/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 08/30/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Recruitment is open until filled. Priority deadline for applications is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, August 30, 2021.
Preference will be given to current employees of the California State University system.
Anticipated appointment in January, 2022.
Contact Name Employment Services
Contact Phone 916-278-6326
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you currently employed within the California State University system?
Provide three trends in graduate recruitment, graduate enrollment management, or graduate student services that you have implemented within a Graduate School and that you believe should be considered for implementation to ensure a robust and diverse graduate student body. (500 words)
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience preparing and managing an operating budget within a Graduate School, College of Graduate Studies or academic department with a graduate program. (500 words)
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled