CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Community Service Specialist position involves a high degree of public contact, responsibility, and community service through many Department of Police Services functions. The incumbent coordinates safety for special events, conducts communication service training in the areas of safety and crime prevention, and supports the public safety communications and records functions.
• Patrols campus buildings, and grounds and operates fixed post locations to enhance the safety of students, faculty, staff, and property, and observes and reports criminal activity to the police, making private persons arrests as required.
• Acts as an informational resource to students, faculty, staff and visitors.
• Assists in the enforcement of established CSUN policies, rules, and regulations by taking appropriate actions; coordinates and tests campus alarm systems and emergency blue light phones; may be called upon to periodically monitor CCTV security systems.
• Responsible for checking, opening, and securing campus facilities; lost and found property; traffic direction and control; safety escorts; LiveScan services; investigations unit support; mental healthcare crisis intervention and performing other related community support functions, as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3xpeEpd
• High school diploma or equivalent and three to six months related experience.
• Must successfully complete training in Defensive and De-Escalation Tactics within six-months of employment
• Must successfully complete supplemental security related training through the California Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) and Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) within six-months of employment
• LICENSE: CANDIDATE MUST POSSESS A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVER'S LICENSE.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Ability to: learn applicable procedures and regulations related to campus security and public safety; learn and use security, fire, and radio systems; recognize and respond appropriately to potential hazardous or crime situations; observe and recall details and incidents.
• Ability to: act and resolve parking and traffic problems; write standard incident reports in a clear and concise manner; communicate in a helpful, effective, and professional manner; keep clear and concise under stress and non-stress situations; interact effectively with a diverse group of individuals within the campus community, general public, and law enforcement profession.
• Ability to: handle sensitive situations with tact and confidentiality; work independently and utilize sound judgement; and maintain a professional and impartial stance in all situations (especially emergencies).
• Possess interpersonal skills and abilities to effectively relay rules, regulations, policies, and directives; problem solving and conflict resolution skills; and good customer service skills.
• Ability to accept instructions and direction from superiors in a positive and dependable manner and prioritize tasks and independently organize available work time to meet assigned responsibilities.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to; medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
• Classification: 8820 - Community Service Spec
• The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $3002 -$4300, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $3002 -$5049 per month.
• HOURS: Full-Time; 40 hours per week; five days a week; hours vary and are subject to rotation; may be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays; will work extended hours for special events.
• REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
• Applications received through July 22, 2021, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The selected candidate must pass a fingerprint clearance (LiveScan).
• The person holding this position will be considered a 'general reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California