Recruitment Number VA1438
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 07/27/21. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title INTERMITTENT BUS DRIVER (Bus Driver/Heavy Equipment Operator)
Class Title HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR/BUS DRIVER
Salary Range (From $ to $) $18.62 - $33.69 per hour (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range).
Department Bus Reservations
Number of Positions 4
FLSA Code Non-Exempt
Status Temporary (Renewable)
Full-time/part-time (if part-time, indicate time base) Intermittent
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU R05 - CSUEU Operations & Support Services
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6591
Hours Per Day Varies
Days Per Week Varies
This intermittent position will operate buses for campus related activities as needed, up to a maximum of 1,000 compensated hours per fiscal year. Incumbent may be required to perform manual labor associated with the use of equipment.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1438a-Position-Description
The CSU will require faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19. This requirement will be effective at the beginning of the Fall 2021 term, or upon the full Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of one or more vaccines, whichever occurs later. The systemwide policy is currently under development. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
Working knowledge of:
• The rules of safe driving and the provisions of the State of California Vehicle Code pertaining to operation of vehicles assigned.
• State of California General Industrial Safety orders related to the assigned tasks.
• The principles and procedures of record keeping as required by DOT.
• Basic computer literacy including light use of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook for e-mailing and scheduling.
Incumbent must possess:
• Well-developed verbal communication skills.
• Manual dexterity for handling equipment parts.
• Mechanical aptitude for operating equipment, performing checks and recognizing irregularities.
• Skills in minor vehicle repair.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Work under limited supervision within a framework of well-defined policies and procedures.
• Operate assigned equipment safely.
• Recognize safety hazards and follow practices and laws to ensure safety.
• Follow manuals and guidelines pertaining to operation of state vehicles. Load and unload vehicles correctly and safely.
• Exercise good judgment, flexibility, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
• Relate to a diverse population of faculty, staff, students and the general public in a tactful and cooperative manner.
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, staff, students and others.
• Service and perform routine repairs of equipment operated.
• Perform manual labor as required.
• Adjust to change (i.e. work environment, technology, etc.).
• Function cooperatively and productively as a member of a unit.
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
Equivalent to one year of paid truck driving, automotive equipment operation, or bus driving experience, including operation of heavy trucks of three axles or more, or large loaders, forklifts or other equipment.
Equivalent to one year of paid or regularly assigned driving experience, preferably involving bus driving or chauffeuring, or driving a car pool or other experience driving passenger carrying vehicles.
A valid California Commercial Class B driver's license, with a passenger endorsement to carry up to 30 passengers, must be maintained throughout employment in this position, as well as successful completion and continued compliance with CSU Defensive Driving Course.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• One year of commercial or school bus driving experience.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines.
• The person holding this position is considered a "Limited Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
• A current Medical Examiner Class B Certificate (within the past two years) must be maintained throughout employment in this position.
• Incumbent must pass pre-employment DOT drug testing and random testing and reasonable suspicion testing for both drugs (controlled substances) and alcohol, as per DOT requirements, throughout employment.
• Drivers of state-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record which will be checked in accordance with commercial driving requirements with the Department of Motor Vehicles. A good driving record according to UCAM 6562 requires each employee who drives a state vehicle to certify he/she has been issued not more than three moving violations or been responsible for more than three accidents (or any combination of more than three thereof) during the past 12 months.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position remains seated in a stationary position for long periods of time while driving vehicles. Position also moves about frequently loading and unloading, fueling and performing vehicle checks and minor maintenance. Must climb stairs to enter bus.
The majority of work is performed operating a standard passenger bus. Work locations vary greatly depending on destination, and may include even and uneven walking surfaces, exposure to weather such as summer and winter temperatures, humidity or precipitation for several hours each day. Work may involve moderate exposure to dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
Benefits This appointment does not include health benefits for applicants not currently employed with CSU, Chico. Benefit eligibility for on-campus employees will be reviewed based on their current benefit status.
Benefit Information CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University (CSU), Chico is a comprehensive and residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences, exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement opportunities. The campus motto, "Today Decides Tomorrow," is brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 07/13/2021
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
2. Cover Letter
1. Optional Applicant Documents
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled