:Y5296O FILING START DATE
:07/22/21 AT 08:00 A.M. (PT)
UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICES ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSURE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
:OPEN COMPETITIVE OPPORTUNITY JOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION
Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam: Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service -OR-
full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing or by the last day of filing.
NO WITHHOLDS OR OUT-OF-CLASS EXPERIENCE WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR THIS EXAMINATION
. MANANGEMENT APPRAISAL OF PERFORMANCE PLAN (MAPP)
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations. ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS)
is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. DHS operates as an integrated health system, operating 26 health centers and four acute care hospitals, in addition to providing health care to youth in the juvenile justice system and inmates in the LA County jails. Across the network of DHS' directly operated clinical sites and through partnerships with community-based clinics, DHS cares for about 800,000 unique patients each year, employs over 22,000 staff, and has an annual operating budget of 5 billion.
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing. MISSION:
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care.DEFINITION:
Under the direction of the Department of Health Services Chief Nursing Officer, the Nursing Director works closely with system, regional, and site leaders to develop, implement, and maintain strategic and operational initiatives for nursing workforce utilization. The incumbent will monitor and trend workforce metrics to develop strategic and implement operational plans for utilization of nursing resources.
Essential Job Functions
- Operational oversight of contract labor process, utilization, and metrics.
- Develops and monitors daily staffing metrics to promote efficient utilization of nursing resources.
- Provides strategic and operational leadership for staffing and scheduling technology systems use, build, and integration.
- Assessment and development of enterprise wide nurse staffing and scheduling processes and policies.
- Assessment and development of resources utilization best practices to include staffing offices and float pools.
- Plans the nature, content and extent of nursing staff and administrative services/operations for achievement of both short and long-term objectives.
- Establishes policy for determining program emphasis and operating guidelines for areas of responsibility, including setting goals.
- Directs the preparation of budgets for assigned areas; integrates with organizational budget and defends budget and personnel resource requests.
- Serves as a facilitator for the shared decision-making process and provides leadership for utilization of best practice evidence in nurse staffing and operations; a dministers general personnel management matters and actions.
- Acts as a resource expert for Nurse Managers, clinical nursing directors, and other equivalent positions; provides guidance, counseling, and advice on techniques of supervision, problem solving, policies, and fiscal and operating systems.
- Interprets and communicates nursing and organizational philosophy and objectives, Department policies and procedures, and applies recognized standards of nursing.
- Oversees nursing operations and workforce development initiatives in partnership with human resources & information technology to provide necessary resources for clinicians to maintain evidence based contemporary practice.
- Evaluates and initiates operational compliance with licensure, accreditation and regulatory standards
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
A Master's degree* in Nursing - OR -
a Bachelor's degree* in Nursing with a Master's degree* in Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university-AND-
four (4) years of experience within the last 10 years, in the management** of nursing operations, organization-wide programs, or educational programs-AND-
a current active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.***LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION INFORMATION
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
To compete in this examination process, applicants must have a license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Applications submitted without the required evidence of licensure will be considered incomplete.
Please ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements. Applications submitted without this information may be considered incomplete.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must attach a copy of their registered nurse license from that state to the application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing.
The original license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing must be presented during the selection process and/or prior to the appointment.***
The required license MUST
be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification will NOT
be accepted.PHYSICAL CLASS II- Light
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
*In order for your Master's or Bachelor's degree to be considered in meeting the Requirements, you must include a legible copy of your "official" diploma, "official" transcripts, or "official" letter from the accredited
institution which shows the area of specialization at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing online.Applications received without evidence of the required degree/s will not be accepted as meeting the stated Requirements. **For this examination, management is defined as planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, directing, and controlling the accomplishment of both short and long term objectives.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Additional experience in the management** of nursing operations, organization-wide programs, or educational programs beyond the Selection Requirements.
- A Doctorate in Nursing Practice or PhD in Nursing from an accredited program.
- Nurse Executive - Board Certified (NE-BC) certification.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education, knowledge, experience, and desirable qualifications based on application information and supplemental questionnaire weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be added to the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be added to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.
SPECIAL INFORMATION: FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE :
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift , including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies within the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION: APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. HARDCOPY/PAPER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the green "APPLY" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the Requirements. Fill out your application completely and supplemental questionnaire correctly to receive full credit for relevant education and/or experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the position. Please do not group your experience.
For each position held, give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and detail description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, including responses in the supplemental questionnaire, it will be rejected
. IMPORTANT NOTES :
- All information and documents provided by applicants is subject to verification.
- We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made.
- Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
- Utilizing verbiage from the Classification Specification and/or Minimum/Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the Requirements. Comments such as "See Résumé" or referencing other unsolicited materials/documents will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will be rejected.
Please note that the Department requires applicants to show that they perform the specified duties listed on the posted Requirements as their principal work activity. It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three components: ACTION/S
you took, the CONTEXT
in which you took that/those action/s, and the BENEFIT
that was realized from that/those actions. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you may email the documents to Brenda Aguila at firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security number for record control purposes only. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a social security number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed using computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
L. A. County Public Library has announced they are reopening some libraries with limited hours access throughout L. A. County. Refer to their website at https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening/
for more information. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
323-914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
Brenda Aguila, Exam Analyst