Under general supervision, inspects dumpster equipment within the City to ensure conformity with required operational capability; issues verbal warnings or citations for violations of City ordinances.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:Knowledge:
- Conducts field visits throughout the City to inspect dumpsters owned by citizens or leased from the City.
- Performs a visual inspection of dumpsters to ensure proper operation and overall condition.
- Issues verbal warnings or citations to citizens to replace, repair or initially locate a dumpster.
- Prepares activity reports regarding field activities.
- Provides assistance to customers as needed.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Local and state codes for the storage of waste materials.
- Federal environmental regulations.
- Safety regulations and procedures.
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Principles and practices of effective customer service.
- Texas local government codes.
- City geography.
- Business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal regulations.
- Explaining City policies and procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High school diploma or equivalent; AND one year of experience in sanitation operations; OR
an equivalent combination of education and experience.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Possession of a valid Texas Class B Commercial Driver’s License.
Work is performed both in an outdoor work environment. May have exposure to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: February 28, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST