POSITION SUMMARY: The Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Director of Admission serves as the chief enrollment officer with principal responsibility for developing and implementing a comprehensive strategic enrollment management plan focused on recruitment, admission and retention consistent with Cal Maritime's unique mission, strategic goals and direction. The Associate Vice President has direct managerial responsibility and oversight for the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Academic Advising, and the Registrar's Office and is responsible for strategies that focus on student success and graduation. This position requires extensive interaction and coordination with members of the Provost's Leadership Team, Faculty Senate, Student Affairs and Cadet Development, University Advancement and Athletics and is expected to develop and enhance valuable partnerships with external constituents. The AVP must ensure the appropriate dissemination and adherence to state and federal regulations, university and California State University System policy, and other matters pertaining to the assurance of program compliance and success. The AVP reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
• Provide counsel on enrollment programs to the Provost and serve as an active member of the Provost's Leadership Team and Provost's Council, working collaboratively to set direction and establish priorities for Cal Maritime's future.
• Provide leadership in shaping strategic enrollment goals, including goals for diversity, academic profile, and approaches to student financial assistance. Create and execute an enrollment plan to achieve those goals for the campus as well as enrollment goals at the individual school level in close collaboration with school deans.
• Create and execute comprehensive strategic enrollment, recruitment, and retention plans to include support by and use of technology for communication flows, social media, and message development.
• Serve in key coordinating role for achievement of graduation rate goals in keeping with the CSU Graduation Initiative 2025.
• Lead and actively manage staff in the execution of goals by establishing appropriate staff reporting structures and creating a supportive and collaborative environment for success and continuous professional development.
• Engage faculty and staff outside the enrollment reporting lines, including senior leadership, Student Affairs and Cadet Development staff, Athletics staff, alumni, and students in recruitment and retention efforts via appropriate and effective methods.
• Develop and monitor appropriate enrollment dashboards to enable data-informed decisions for allocating staff and financial resources to achieve enrollment goals. Work closely with the Office of Institutional Research in the evaluation, analysis and timely reporting of enrollment data and initiatives for the purpose of developing effective recruitment and retention strategies. Collaborate with Institutional Research and Information Technology to assure that accurate enrollment data is available to campus decision makers and submitted to the CSU Chancellor's Office according to established deadlines.
• Collaborate with various departments, including Office of Public Affairs and Strategic Communication, to strengthen and clarify the campus image in support of enrollment efforts (print, electronic, and social media) and to ensure consistency of brand, timeliness of campaigns, and the creation of clear and compelling messages.
• Develop and manage annual budgets for areas managed by the AVP and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses.
• Maintain fiscal responsibility and leadership for the strategic management of financial aid programs while maintaining a commitment to helping diverse students and families find ways to manage their investment in a Cal Maritime education.
• Serve as one of the primary "public faces" for Cal Maritime with enthusiasm, passion and eloquence.
• Master's degree is required
• Knowledge of recruitment, marketing, admissions, financial aid, advisement and retention policies, principles and practices.
• Knowledge of strategic enrollment management theory and practice with demonstrated success in using analytics to increase enrollment while enhancing diversity and maintaining quality.
• Knowledge and ability to lead organizational structure, workflow and operating protocols.
• Knowledge and skill in using qualitative and quantitative data to drive effective program development, marketing, recruitment, admission and student retention.
• Knowledge of technology-based solutions using communication tools to support recruitment of new students and retention of continuing students.
• Possession of high professional standards and a personal code of ethics characterized by honesty, integrity, openness and fairness.
• Commitment to attracting and serving a culturally diverse population of students from California, other states and other countries.
• Strong leadership and administrative skills managing operational aspects of enrollment management including, but not limited to: strategic planning, personnel, budget and fiscal management, web-based technology enhancement, and continuous improvement assessment of the unit's operations in all areas.
• Strong analytical thinking, project management, problem recognition and resolution skills adept at setting and attaining key strategic goals.
• Effective interpersonal written and verbal communication skills, with proven ability to foster collaborative efforts and partnership building with internal and external constituencies within a diverse community.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to identify, consult and resolve issues that impact institutional needs and priorities and experience in using data to make sound decisions and foster improvement.
• Skill as a visionary and innovative leader, seeking innovation as well as the ability to review and evaluate the results of that innovation.
• Ability to demonstrate commitment in promoting personal and civic responsibility.
• Ability to work within and commitment to a system of shared governance.
• Ability to commit to inclusive excellence.
• Preference will be given to candidates with a doctorate.
• Strongly prefer candidates with at least five years of experience in a senior administrative and leadership position in enrollment management or related field.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.
HOURS of WORK/TRAVEL: Ability to work evenings and weekends as appropriate.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
DESIGNATED POSITION: This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled