Irrigation Specialist Posting Details
Priority Application Deadline (Posting will remain open until filled): Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 11:55 p.m. Hiring Preference
Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2,5,7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment. Position Summary
Under the general direction of the Manager of Grounds and Landscape Services, the Irrigation Specialist repairs, maintains and installs sprinkler heads, piping, valves and electronic controllers, including low voltage wiring for the purpose of optimizing watering efficiency on campus. Works with a team engaged in landscape projects, maintenance and repairs. Sets campus irrigation controllers to optimize campus irrigation coverage given expected weather conditions, water agency restrictions, and plant health.FLSA
: Non-Exempt CSU Classification Salary Range
: Minimum: $ 2,990.00 Maximum: $ 5,404.00 per monthHiring Range
: $2,990 to $3,900 per monthRecruitment Type
: Re gular (Probationary) Time Base
: Full-Time Pay Plan
: 12 months Work Hours
: M-FR, 6 am - 2:30 pm. Must be able to work weekends, early work shifts, and/or other change in work schedule.Department Information
Grounds & Landscape Services
Grounds and Landscaping Services is responsible for maintaining 170 landscaped acres and over 3,000 trees. We also have responsibility for maintaining walkways and parking improvements. Grounds and Landscape Services trims, irrigates, cleans, fertilizes, provides pest control, and renovates campus site improvements that encompass:
Minimum Qualifications Knowledge:
- Over 3,000 trees, comprising 250 species
- 93 acres of lawn/turf
- 16 acres of shrubs and ground cover
- More than 21 miles of campus walkways
- 60 acres of parking lots
- 25 acres of undeveloped space
- Irrigation systems comprising 5 well pumps, 7 zone controllers, 750 valves, and 12,000 sprinklers heads
Thorough knowledge of the soil conditions of the various areas of the campus; climate of the area in which the campus is located; and the mechanical principles of sprinkler equipment. General knowledge of the kinds of sprinkler control devices and irrigation equipment available on the market.Abilities:
Ability to plan, estimate costs, and install or modify irrigation systems for particular sections of the campus; repair and maintain existing irrigation systems; operate equipment, such as small trench-diggers; provide lead work direction to others; and read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.Experience:
Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, with one year in the maintenance, repair, or modification of irrigation systems and irrigation equipment. Required Qualifications
1. Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in maintaining sustainable landscapes, irrigation systems, and athletic fields.
2. Experience with operating and maintaining equipment such as trenchers, front loaders, back hoes, bobcat loaders, and electronic tracing/troubleshooting equipment.
3. Knowledge of and ability to use computerized irrigation control systems.
4. Ability to use a computerized work order system.
5. Ability to maintain records, inventory, and supplies.
6. Ability to use standard office software applications (i.e. word processing, email).
7. Excellent customer service skills.
8. Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with a diverse population. Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to pass a background check. Work Schedule Requirements:
- Ability to work weekends, early work shifts, and/or other change in work schedule. Physical Requirements:
- Ability to frequently lift and carry gardening equipment and materials up to 50 lbs. Preferred Qualifications
9. Experience in design, estimation, and installation of new landscapes and irrigation systems.
10. Experience working with contractors installing sprinkler systems around new structures to assure proper irrigating capacities of the systems.
11. Experience preparing or revising sketches and as-built drawings to document changes in landscape.
12. Experience with computerized irrigation control systems (i.e. Rainbird Maxicom). Required Licenses/Certifications Other Requirement(s):
- Possession of a valid driver's license and maintenance of a good driving record. Documents Needed to Apply
ResumeAbout Sac State Sacramento State
is located in the heart of California's capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the "Farm-to-Fork Capital," is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State's 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: " As California's capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement. " As the regional hub of higher education, Sac State is dedicated to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement, philanthropy
, and campus safety
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code
, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit th e Why Sac State
? page. Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/benefits/disability-parental-leave.html#reasonable-accommodations-interactive-process
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union. Eligibility Verification
Selected c andidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency ( i.e . H-1-B Visa). Note to Applicants:
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled