Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at:
http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ The Mohave County Development Services Department is currently recruiting for a Zoning Inspector in the Planning & Zoning Division. *First review of applications will be 08/31/2021.
Performs professional level work involved in interpreting and enforcing County Zoning Ordinances and requirements and assuring the compliance with approved zoning regulations as well as household trash requirements in public nuisance ordinances for the Zoning Division of the Development Services Department. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority and requires independent decisions according to established procedures. Work is reviewed through performance appraisal and results achieved. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May exercise technical supervision over subordinates. Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Translates resolutions that change zoning districts and determines compliance.
- Receive and investigate complaints from citizens and property owners involving violations of the Mohave County Zoning Ordinance, and the household trash requirements in public nuisance ordinances.
- Field work involving remote areas of Mohave County and the Arizona Strip, some field work may involve moderately dangerous situations.
- Verbal discussions and preparation of correspondence to property owners and tenants of the property in violation.
- Preparation and maintenance of case files that fully document the existence and extent of the violation for the use of the Zoning Inspectors, the Department the County Attorney's Office and the Courts.
- Respond to requests for information on zoning ordinance and case files.
- Prepare reports for the Divisional Manager, Director, County Manager, Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Supervisors as needed.
- Participate in the Abatement Action Committee as needed.
- Field work for the Planning Division as needed, including site reviews and posting of legal notices.
- Extensive contact with the public, including complainants, violators, members of the general public, a wide variety of other County Departments, and local, state and federal agencies.
- Assist the Deputy County Attorney assigned to the case with case preparation.
- Testify in Justice Court or before a hearing officer on facts regarding case files, as needed.
- Enter, maintain, and assist with improving the code enforcement function to ACCELA Automation.
- Backup the Permit Technicians, as needed.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School Diploma/GED (General Education Degree).
- Post High School level course work in planning or closely related field.
- One (1) year experience involving any code enforcement, environmental health inspections, building inspections, engineering technician, animal control, title research, real estate, law enforcement, planning, zoning administration and/or actual zoning inspection work involving interpreting and enforcing of compliance to codes and issuing of citations and violations.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Zoning regulations and other applicable laws, rules and ordinances including the public nuisance ordinances.
- Methods of land descriptions.
- Preparation and processing of use permit applications.
- Department policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Utilizing personal computers in a windows environment.
- Safe, efficient use of measuring and inspection aids and tools utilized in the performance of zoning inspections.
- Interpret technical information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Secure facts, document information, evaluate data, and draw valid conclusions.
- Conduct inspections and investigations of zoning violations and prepare detailed and accurate records for use in legal procedures.
- Work independently.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public and county departments and agencies and to deal tactfully and diplomatically in adverse situations.
- Make accurate and detailed observations.
- Efficiently organize workload and schedule.
- Translate complex requirements into appropriate layman terms.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.