Description DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The County of El Dorado , Department of Transportation is responsible for funding, designing, building, operating, and maintaining the County Road System. El Dorado County's Road System currently consists of approximately 1083 centerline miles of paved roadway, 76 bridges, a multitude of storm drainage systems, and related transportation facilities.The Department of Transportation has two main priorities:
1. Ensuring that our roads are safe for public use with due care in a manner in which it is reasonably foreseeable that they will be used, and
2. Preserving and maintaining the public's multi-billion dollar investment in our roads, bridges, and other facilities. MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS DIVISION
The Maintenance and Operations Division is composed of Road Crews, Fleet Services, Equipment Mechanics, and Traffic Control Crews. This dedicated team manages the repair, maintenance, and replacement of existing County roadway and drainage infrastructure. It is also responsible for the maintenance of all 1083 centerline miles of roadway in the County. THE OPPORTUNITY
Put your knowledge and experience performing routine and skilled heavy, physical work in the maintenance, repair and construction of roads; operating a variety of vehicles and hand power tools, and operating and maintaining a variety of complex motorized construction equipment. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to:
In addition to these great opportunities, Highway Maintenance Workers in Placerville are eligible for the following:
- Break and remove surfaces; dig, shovel, haul and load and unload spoils, sands, asphalt mixes and other materials; operate jack hammers, pavement breakers, concrete saws, spaders, tampers and a wide variety of hand and power tools related to road maintenance work; shovel, rake, rolls and iron asphalt and spray oil; operate a variety of heavy trucks; chip seal surfaces; prepare for overlays; clean up work sites upon completion of jobs.
- Perform traffic monitoring and control, including the distribution of barricades, warning signs, safety cones and/or the flagging of vehicles.
- Perform brush clearance, tree removal and weed control work.
- Perform snow removal, ice control and storm patrol work.
- Operate a variety of light construction equipment such as dump trucks, rollers, loaders, patch pots; may operate heavier equipment on a training basis.
- Inspect vehicles and equipment and perform minor maintenance; report the need for major repairs and service; fuel and lubricate vehicles and related equipment; wash and clean assigned vehicles.
- Observe safe work methods and safety practices related to the work; uses appropriate safety equipment.
- Operate assigned vehicles skillfully and safely; observe safe driving practices.
- Operate and maintain a wide variety of hand and power tools and equipment related to work assignments.
- Respond to emergency situations in off hours as required.
- Drives construction equipment to and from job sites; load and unload equipment from trucks; operate a variety of construction equipment including backhoes, front-end loaders, motor graders, motor rollers, rotary snow plows, pavers, transporters, caterpillars, and related equipment.
- Excavate, backfill, grade and roll construction and repair sites.
- Operate equipment used in road maintenance and construction, earth moving and grading; cuts to grade.
- Check job sites for potential hazards; determines precautions necessary for safe operations.
- $300/year boot allowance
- $300/ year uniform allowance
- Enrollment in low-cost health benefits available through the bargaining unit which represents the Highway Maintenance Worker classification.
For a full description of duties and responsibilities please review the job description here . THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Department of Transportation is looking for an individual that has demonstrated skill in operating and maintaining road vehicles and equipment such as trucks, rollers and loaders. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a wide variety of hand, power, and shop tools and equipment used in the maintenance and repair and construction of roads and have experience related to safe work practices and safety regulations pertaining to the operations and transportation of the equipment and work construction zones. The incumbent will possess a positive attitude and enjoy completing projects with the maintenance team while working independently without close supervision. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Human Resources will assess your application to determine if you are minimally qualified using the following minimum qualifications:
Any combination of the required experience, education, and training that would provide the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. Highway Maintenance Worker I:
Six months of experience as a laborer in construction or maintenance work. Highway Maintenance Worker II:
In addition to the above, one (1) year of experience in the construction and maintenance of roads at a level equivalent to the County's class of Highway Maintenance Worker I.
Other Requirements:Highway Maintenance Worker I
Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Basic techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance and repair and construction of roads.
- Basic shop arithmetic.
- Safe work practices and safety regulations pertaining to the operations and transportation of the equipment and work construction zones.
- Preventive maintenance and minor repair methods related to the equipment.
- Operating and maintaining a variety of hand and power tools and equipment used in the work.
- Properly placing cones, barricades and warning devices and directing traffic flow at job sites.
Highway Maintenance Worker II
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Keep accurate records and preparing simple reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Recognize potentially hazardous conditions on the job site or with the equipment.
In addition to the qualifications for Highway Maintenance Worker I:
Must possess and maintain a valid commercial Class B driver's license with no restriction as to transmission, no restrictions on air brakes, and must acquire a Tanker Endorsement within six months of hire or promotion date.
- Operating and maintaining road vehicles and equipment such as trucks, rollers and loaders.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative without close supervision.
Click here to view the minimum qualifications for a Highway Maintenance Worker I/II as well as the physical, environmental, and working conditions. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Apply online by clicking on the 'Apply' link at the top of this announcement. When your online application and responses to the required supplemental questions are complete, click 'Accept'.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, contact Sera Salmanyan in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Human Resources Department will screen all applications to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment process.
Training and Experience Review (Weighted 100%): A training and experience review consists of candidates responding to supplemental questions on the job application. A subject matter expert will evaluate each candidate's responses based on predetermined criteria. The subject matter experts are not granted access to the candidate's application; therefore, responses to the supplemental questions should be thorough, detailed, and complete.
For more information on the recruitment process click here .
Based on the hiring department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The County of El Dorado is recruiting applicants for Highway Maintenance Worker I/II. This recruitment will establish a list for the purpose of filling current and future full time, part time and extra help vacancies for at least three (3) months. There is currently one (1) full time vacancy in the Department of Transportation, Maintenance Division located in Placerville, CA.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
The County of El Dorado is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Many job classifications require pre-employment medical screening. Depending on the job classification, medical screening may include testing for drugs, including but not limited to marijuana; a positive test may result in revocation of an employment offer.
This classification includes positions that may be subject to current California Department of Public Health (CDPH), State Public Health Officer Orders requiring all workers who provide services or work in facilities covered by the order to (a) have their first dose of a one-dose regimen or their second dose of a two-dose regimen of an approved vaccine against COVID-19, or (b) provide valid exemption as permitted by the order. An approved exemption would result in the exempted employee being required to wear a face covering and be regularly tested for COVID-19.
Not just rustic mining towns and historic sites - Today El Dorado County is a year-round vacation destination overflowing with outdoor adventure, inviting agritourism locations, enriching family activities, and a proud Gold Rush history.Escape the traffic and smog because El Dorado County is just:
- 40 miles to Downtown Sacramento
- 50 miles to Sacramento International Airport
- 129 miles to San Francisco
Here are a few of the many activities and events available throughout El Dorado County:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
- Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Live Music and Music Festivals
- Local Craft Breweries and Wineries
- El Dorado County Fair
- Placerville Speedway Races
- Farm to Fork Restaurants
- Local Shopping Gems
Closing Date/Time: Continuous