Description THE COUNTY OF EL DORADO
The County of El Dorado is committed to promoting the power of public service by fostering a diverse and collaborative workplace where employees are empowered, respected and valued. The dedicated efforts taken by the Board of Supervisors continues to promote El Dorado County as a competitive employer that is committed to recruiting and retaining qualified employees by advocating for competitive salaries and excellent benefits. The County of El Dorado is also supportive of providing telework opportunities for employees consistent with business needs and in accordance with Board of Supervisors Policy E-12 - Telecommuting. PLANNING AND BUILDING
The Planning and Building Department's mission is to guide land use and development consistent with the General Plan, Building Codes, and related regulations, by providing accurate, timely, and courteous professional and technical services to our customers, to maintain the County's unique quality of life, protect public safety and the environment and to promote economic vitality for current and future generations. THE OPPORTUNITY
Under general supervision, administers complex current and advance planning activities, including serving as project manager for complex development applications and special projects; provides technical direction to lower-level staff; performs professional office and field work involved in planning, zoning, and land use matters; interprets and enforces various planning rules, codes, regulations, and guidelines of the County; completes technical assessments and prepares written project analyses; provides professional advice and assistance to County staff, the Board of Supervisors, property owners, developers, contractors, and the public on planning, community development, zoning, and permits as assigned; and performs related duties as assigned. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Serve as project manager for multiple complex current and/or long-range planning projects, Environmental Impact Reports, General Plan Updates, and special planning studies, including in-depth application and plan review.
- Receive and process land use applications for conditional use permits, rezones, parcel and subdivision maps, site development or site review permits, general plan amendments, and other requests related to County planning activities.
- Coordinate with applicants to obtain additional information and project changes, prepares legal notices, posts notices on sites, conducts background research, prepares staff reports, attends public hearings and makes presentations, monitors implementation measures and conditions of approval, checks submittals for building plan checks, and inspects development and capital improvement sites at the beginning and upon completion of the project.
- Compile findings and prepare recommendations in written form for projects, including project analysis and conditions for permit approval or denial.
- Plan and direct the work of planning staff on assigned projects; reviews the work of assigned staff for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with policies, procedures, and standards; participates in staff training activities.
- Interpret and apply federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations to ensure that public and private projects are in compliance, including the California Environmental Quality Act, Subdivision Map Act, Public Resources Code, General Plan, County ordinances, specific plans, design specifications, and local guidelines and procedures.
For a full job description including physical demands please click here . THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate for this position will have practical experience with advanced level planning concepts, including but not limited to, processing discretionary planning applications, experience in writing and implementing general plan policies, knowledge of economic development principles, and an ability to independently manage their workload with minimal supervision. The incumbent is accountable for accomplishing departmental planning and operational objectives, and for furthering the County's goals and objectives within general policy guidelines.Human Resources will assess your application to determine if you are minimally qualified using the following minimum qualifications:
Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field; AND
Two (2) years of experience at a level equivalent to the County's class of Associate Planner. Licenses and Certifications :
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain, a valid California or Nevada Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record.
Apply online by clicking on the 'Apply' link at the top of this announcement. When your online application and responses to the required supplemental questions are complete, click 'Accept'.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, contact Monique Heredia in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Human Resources Department will screen all applications to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment process.
Training and Experience Review (Weighted 100%): A training and experience review consists of candidates responding to supplemental questions on the job application. Subject matter experts will evaluate each candidate's responses based on predetermined criteria. The subject matter experts are not granted access to the candidate's application; therefore, responses to the supplemental questions should be thorough, detailed, and complete. Do not refer to resumes, cover letters, or other documentation as they will not be reviewed.
Supplemental questions play an integral role in this recruitment process. Please take the time to provide thoughtful and thorough responses. The information you provide may be used to determine your ranking for referral to specific vacancies. All work experience that is described or included in your response(s) MUST be included in the "Work Experience" section of your application. Do not refer to a resume or other documentation.
For more information on the recruitment process click here .
Based on the hiring department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
The County of El Dorado is recruiting applicants for Sr. Planner. This recruitment will establish a list for the purpose of filling current and future vacancies for at least three (3) months.
We currenly have the following vacancies:
- One (1) full time vacancy in the Planning and Building Department, E conomic Development Unit , located in Placerville, CA.
- One (1) full time vacancy in the Planning and Building Department, Long Range Planning Unit , located in Placerville, CA.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
The County of El Dorado is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Many job classifications require pre-employment medical screening. Depending on the job classification, medical screening may include testing for drugs, including but not limited to marijuana; a positive test may result in revocation of an employment offer.
This classification may include positions that are subject to current California Department of Public Health (CDPH), State Public Health Officer Orders requiring all workers who provide services or work in facilities covered by the order to (a) have their first dose of a one-dose regimen or their second dose of a two-dose regimen of an approved vaccine against COVID-19, or (b) provide valid exemption as permitted by the order. An approved exemption would result in the exempted employee being required to wear a face covering and be regularly tested for COVID-19.
Not just rustic mining towns and historic sites - Today El Dorado County is a year-round vacation destination overflowing with outdoor adventure, inviting agritourism locations, enriching family activities, and a proud Gold Rush history. Escape the traffic and smog because El Dorado County is just:
- 40 miles to Downtown Sacramento
- 50 miles to Sacramento International Airport
- 129 miles to San Francisco
Here are a few of the many activities and events available throughout El Dorado County:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
- Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Live Music and Music Festivals
- Local Craft Breweries and Wineries
- El Dorado County Fair
- Placerville Speedway Races
- Farm to Fork Restaurants
- Local Shopping Gems
Closing Date/Time: Continuous