Through growth and change, San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) remains committed to providing quality medical care to meet the health needs of the community. Our commitment is to provide quality patient centered care with a compassionate touch.
SMMC is an integrated delivery system of healthcare focused on the needs of the underserved, within a County system of care, and has been providing healthcare to our community and surrounding service area since 1930. We also serve as a key provider within the Health Plan of San Mateo's (HPSM) public/private network. Our integrated delivery system includes a fully accredited acute care hospital, outpatient clinics system, specialty services, ancillary services, emergency services, and psychiatric services.
SMMC and its clinics are currently seeking an Extra Help, Full-Time Physical Therapist
to provide outpatient services at San Mateo Medical Center in San Mateo, CA.
Physical Therapists manage patients with a wide range of diagnoses, chronic and acute, and are part of a dynamic treatment team. In addition, Physical Therapists identify patient challenges and develop goals and a care plan with reasonable outcomes for the individual's life/work settings. Daily opportunities are created in this assignment through the variety of illnesses/injuries seen in our patient population.
Physical Therapists work at SMMC as part of a County rehabilitation program, which provides evaluation, education and treatment. The therapeutic program at SMMC is oriented toward inpatients and outpatients with acute and chronic problems while providing therapy to inpatients with a need for long or short-term rehabilitation.
The ideal candidate
will possess a minimum of one year of work experience providing care in an outpatient setting. Fluency in Spanish is also preferred. New or recent graduates with independent outpatient physical therapy work experience are encouraged to apply.This is a full-time, extra-help opportunity for a duration of four to six months
.NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Under medical direction, plan and perform physical therapy for a variety of patients.
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team to provide comprehensive treatment to patients.
- Participate in discharge planning and refer patients to community services.
- Provide therapeutic activities to promote independence in daily living activities.
- Plan, organize and participate in physical therapy activities.
- Instruct patients in the use of therapeutic tools and equipment.
- Provide ongoing assessment and documentation of the patient's response to treatment in accordance with hospital standards.
- Determine need for department and patient-related supplies and equipment.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of treatment areas.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Note: The level and scope of the knowledge and skills listed below are related to job duties as defined under Distinguishing Characteristics. Licensure/Certification:
- Eligibility for or registration as a Physical Therapist by the State Board of Medical Examiners. Failure to obtain this licensure within twelve months of employment may result in termination.
- Possession of a Certificate of completion for a course in Basic Life Support as approved by the American Red Cross or American Heart Association; or must be obtained within six months of appointment.
- Principles and methods of physical therapy, as applicable to all types of cases found in a general hospital providing acute care or in a rehabilitative center.
- Physical and psychological problems of physically disabled, aged, gero-psychiatric and chronically ill patients.
- Use and care of therapeutic tools and equipment commonly used in physical therapy.
- Professional ethics and the fundamental laws of practice for physical therapy.
Education and Experience:
- Administer and document physical therapy treatments.
- Assess patient needs, analyze situations accurately and implement an effective plan of action.
- Adapt equipment to patient needs.
- Integrate physical therapy services with other medical and institutional programs.
- Develop new programs in response to patient/department need.
- Explain and teach physical therapy activities to patients, health care professionals and other interested persons.
- Exercise tact and good judgment in dealing with patients, staff, and the public.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Act as a consultant/trainer for educational and other staff.
- Lift or assist with lifting patients and equipment.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of supervised experience in physical therapy.
Application/Examination This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply.
The Department will screen materials and will contact qualified candidates directly for a departmental interview. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. IMPORTANT :
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before 11:59 PM on the final filing date. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process. ~Tentative Recruitment Schedule~
Final Filing Deadline: Continuous
Departmental Interviews: ContinuousAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Personnel Analyst: Ximena Burns (091521) (Physical Therapist II - F172)