Distinguishing Features of the Class
Provides professional legal representation for the City of Des Moines; performs directly related work as required.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to provide professional legal advice and to ensure professional representation in representing the City Council, City Departments and employees in complex litigation and transactions. Supervision may be exercised over the work of legal support staff. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Deputy City Attorney and City Attorney but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
Click here for complete job description.
The Assistant City Attorney II position within the Litigation Division will have an anticipated start date of approximately November 29, 2021 and will include duties with an emphasis on providing legal advice and work within human rights, constitutional and criminal law areas of the City.
The Assistant City Attorney II position within the Infrastructure and Services Division will have an anticipated start date of approximately February 1, 2022 and will include duties with an emphasis on providing legal advice to numerous departments and substantial complex contractual work.
Greater details about the two openings will be provided at the time of the interview, if applicable. PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING APPLICATION REVIEW TIMES :
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Application are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions.
- The department will begin reviewing applications for the Assistant City Attorney II in the Litigation Division on 11/1/2021.
- The department will begin reviewing applications for the Assistant City Attorney II in the Infrastructure and Services Division on 12/1/2021.
NOTE: Transcripts verifying degree conferred must be submitted to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department by the application deadline to receive credit. Please send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 . Required Special Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Juris Doctorate degree; and
- Considerable legal experience.
The City of Des Moines' Residency Requirement is in effect for this position. Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within seven (7) months of appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position. Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer, physical examination and drug screen; and
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility; and
- Admission to the Iowa State Bar by the application deadline.
- Conducts or may assist with litigation in State and Federal District court on municipal matters;
- Provides advice to other Attorneys on trial strategy, evaluation of potential settlements and ideas related to preparation of cases;
- Prepares complex contracts and related legal documents for the City Manager, City Departments, Des Moines Metropolitan Wastewater Reclamation Authority and the Library, including software licensing, hosting and maintenance agreements;
- Provides legal advice, counsel and course of action recommendations to City Departments in various areas, including almost all departments of the City, the Des Moines Metropolitan Wastewater Reclamation Authority and the Library or related areas of substantial municipal responsibility;
- Represents the City in pre-trial conferences, including research and negotiation with all parties involved;
- Prepares cases for trial, examining law and evidence subject to review and assistance by a supervisor;
- Prepares and interviews witnesses presenting evidence for the City to ascertain that evidence is complete and will be well presented;
- Performs special projects for the City Attorney as requested;
- Represents City employees, boards and commissions;
- Represents the City before state and federal administrative agencies, boards and commissions;
- Studies and keeps current knowledge of City, State, Federal and general municipal law for information and precedents bearing on City legal issues;
- Researches legal opinions, memoranda and data for the guidance of City Departments;
- Researches, prepares, and compiles proposed ordinances and resolutions and proposed amendments to existing ordinances;
- Provides guidance in the area of public purchases including complex bidding and procurement issues;
- Performs legal work for pretreatment enforcement for the Des Moines Metropolitan Wastewater Reclamation Authority;
- Advises on marketing issues and intellectual property issues;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees often in a classroom setting;
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems;
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas;
- Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
- Works in coordination with other Legal Department Divisions;
- Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
Closing Date/Time: 12/6/2021 5:00 PM Central