Department: DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Division: DHHS - PUBLIC AND BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Business Unit: HR-FAC FOR MENTAL OFFENDER
Work Type: PERMANENT
*Pay Grade: GRADE 30
Salary Range: $41,572.08 - $61,011.36
Fulltime/Parttime: Full Time
Recruiter: DARRELL MORLAN
Phone: 775 684-0126
Forensic Specialists perform a combination of security and client care duties in a secure mental health facility for treatment/evaluation of the mentally and/or medically ill offender and/or offenders whose competency requires evaluation. Incumbents perform in a trainee capacity and acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities required in this occupation.
Lake's Crossing Center (LCC), a maximum security forensic facility/Psychiatric Hospital for Mentally Disordered Offenders in Sparks, Nevada is recruiting for several Forensic Specialist I positions. The Forensic Specialist I position is the entry-level in the Forensic Specialist series, progression to Forensic Specialist II and III will automatically occur with the recommendation of the appointing authority when minimum qualifications are met, and the incumbent is performing satisfactorily. Forensic Specialists at LCC perform mental health and security duties with an emphasis on providing therapeutic treatment for clients in order to evaluate and attain competency to stand trial for criminal charges. The Forensic Specialists also prepare clients for competency hearings and facilitate groups regarding legal processes; assist clients in understanding the nature and seriousness of charges that have been filed; assist assigned clients with eating, bathing, shaving, oral hygiene, grooming, dressing and other basic activities of daily living; assist in transportation, movement and ambulation; and perform other duties as assigned.
The facility is recruiting for three different shifts: Day shift (6:45am - 3:15pm), Swing shift (2:45pm - 11:15pm), and NOC/Graveyard shift (10:45pm - 7:15am). Working weekends and/or holidays is required and the positions are subject to call-back.
***Individuals with general knowledge of behaviors associated with mental illness, assaultive behavior interventions to include self-defense and non-violent control of aggression as well as regulations and policies related to client rights are encouraged to apply.
To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-13_0/
Graduation from high school or equivalent education and two years of general work experience, one year which was in a mental health, medical, correctional, law enforcement or related setting; OR one year of college coursework which included courses in health, behavioral science or criminal justice and one year of general work experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience as described above.
- Applicants must meet minimum standards for appointment as a peace officer as established in the Nevada Revised Statutes and Nevada Administrative Code.
- Incumbents employed at either the Forensic Specialist I or Forensic Specialist II must successfully complete the required level of P.O.S.T. certification training as required by law in order to progress to the next level in the series.
- Some positions require incumbents to obtain and maintain certification as a Mental Health Technician per NRS 433.279 as a condition of continuing employment.
- Some positions require CPR certification within six months of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
- A State of Nevada/FBI background check will be required of the selected applicant.
- A pre-employment criminal history check and fingerprinting are required. Persons offered employment in this position will be required to pay for these items.
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
- Per NAC 284.317, applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances.
- This position is subject to call-out or call-back in case of emergencies or staff shortages or be placed on standby status if necessary.
- Working overtime on short notice, weekends and/or holidays is required.
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
*The salary range indicated in this announcement is based on the Employee/Employer retirement compensation schedule. An employer-only option is available at a reduced salary range.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages. Nearest Major Market:
Reno Nearest Secondary Market: