COMPREHENSIVE CARE NURSE I
Correctional Health Services
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive a salary range increase on the following date:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. This recruitment is open to the public.
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list that will be used to fill current and future Comprehensive Care Nurse I positions within the Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications.
This recruitment will remain open on a continuous basis until the needs of the County are met. Candidates who are placed on the eligible list will remain on the eligible list for six (6) months and may be considered/referred for selection/hiring interviews. After six (6) months, candidates must reapply to receive further consideration. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven service areas - Finance and Administrative, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Medical Health Services, Office of Care Coordination, Public Health and Strategy and Special Projects is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. ADULT CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES
The Correctional Health Services (CHS)
, Adult Correctional Health Services (ACHS)
program provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care and also provides mental health services including 24-hour emergency triage and crisis intervention, suicide prevention, treatment beds, individual and group therapy, substance use counseling, medication assessment and discharge planning to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Comprehensive Care Nurse I is responsible for performing a variety of specialized duties:
- Obtain vital signs such as: temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and pain scale assessment
- Perform comprehensive and focused physical assessments, interpret data collected, and refer to higher level of care as necessary, including:
- Obtaining comprehensive medical, mental health, family and social history
- Interpreting vital signs results
- Wound care treatment and management
- Documenting in SOAP (Subjective-Objective-Assessment-Plan) format on electronic health record
- Treating clients based on nursing standardized procedures
Review of health records, summarize and synthesize patient information and give a comprehensive hand off at shift change or outside facility transfers utilizing a discharge-summary form or verbal reportParticipate in staff development and educational programs to maintain professional competencyParticipate in 5150 training; must pass and maintain certification (training will be provided)May perform other job related duties as needed
The Comprehensive Care Nurse I is expected to become oriented to the Comprehensive Care Nursing duties and assume increasing levels of responsibility. Incumbents who are not promoted by the end of their probationary period shall not pass probation. The ACHS facility is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays. Nursing staff work six (6), twelve (12) hour shifts, and one eight (8) hour shift per two (2) week pay period. Days off are every other weekend and rotating week days. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrates the following competencies:Nursing Training | Knowledge of:
Adaptability | Collaboration:
- Chronic illnesses that are medical and mental health related such as: substance abuse disorders, etc.
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines
- Performing triage and assessment competently
- Performing emergency, medical, mental health, prenatal care and other specialized care
- Willing and having the ability to testify competently if subpoenaed by court
- Using technology and other healthcare related systems effectively
- Working effectively in a changing and stressful environment, and making adjustments as necessary
- Working collaboratively and communicating professionally at all times
Critical Thinking | Safety:
- Developing resiliency by maintaining energy, tenacity, and continuously providing compassionate care in fulfilling correctional nursing responsibilities
- Managing multiple clients needing triage effectively and efficiently
- Making sound clinical treatment decisions
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside the jail facility
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security while providing care and/or treatment to medical and mental health clients
- Reducing jail-related liability risks by being compliant with Federal and State laws and mandated standards
- Incumbents must NOT have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.).
- Correctional Health Services are a 24 hour, 7 day a week facilities, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays.
For detailed information on Comprehensive Care Nurse I
minimum qualifications, including Physical and Mental Requirements, Environmental and Working conditions click here.RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified applicants for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Online Assessment (Unproctored)
| Multiple-Choice (Weighted 100%):
Applicants who meet desirable qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Applicants will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Alfredo Salazar
at (714) 834-5304 or Alsalazar@ochca.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous