PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE III
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following date:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
and being held to establish an Open eligible list to fill current and future Public Health Nurse III positions within Health Care Agency (HCA) until the next recruitment. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower level classifications.
This recruitment will be open for a minimum of five business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (P.S.T.) on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately for first consideration. Candidates who are placed on the eligible list will remain on the eligible list for six (6) months and be considered/referred for selection/hiring interviews. After six (6) months, candidates must reapply to receive further consideration. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five service areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Regulatory & Medical Services, and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES
Through assessment, policy development and assurance, Public Health Services provides a wide range of services aimed at reducing death and disability by reducing the transmission of communicable diseases, preventing and lessening the impact of chronic diseases, and ensuring healthy and safe environments.
Click here for more information about Public Health Services.THE PROGRAMSPublic Health Nursing
Public Health Nurses (PHNs) provide nursing services in the home and community, including case management, client advocacy, community resource information and assistance with accessing health care. PHNs provide services in a variety of programs that target specific populations and/or health needs including high-risk pregnant and post-partum women and teens, high-risk infants, children, adolescents, foster children, adults with chronic conditions and homeless individuals and families.
Click here to learn more about Public Health Nursing.Family Health
Family Health promotes the health and well-being of all infants, children, parents, and families in Orange County through service delivery and collaboration with a range of community organizations and health professionals. Public Health Nurses provide leadership in the development of community resources, linkages, and partnerships; and offers integrated quality health care services .
Click here to learn more about the Family Health Division. Disease Control and Epidemiology
Public Health Nurses assist with the surveillance, investigation and treatment of reportable communicable diseases, including Tuberculosis, HIV, sexually transmitted infections, and food-borne or aerosolized illnesses to prevent the spread in the community.
Click here to learn more about the Disease Control and Epidemiology Division. THE OPPORTUNITIES
The positions provide services during the normal business days (Monday through Friday) and may be assigned to work evening hours.
The eligible list will be used to fill the current and future vacancies of any of the programs in Public Health Services.As a Public Health Nurse III, the incumbent will:
Be proficient on the above competencies in addition to the following:
- Independently provide skilled nursing care and provide complex case management and coordination of services.
- Researches and prepares statistical and narrative records, reports, and analyzes and uses statistical information for program planning, reporting and research and preparing grant proposals.
- May serve in a lead worker or training role in order to train other health care professionals
- Assess the problem of under-reporting of communicable diseases; identifies medical provider not in compliance with reporting laws; assess barriers to reporting; provides information and training; coordinates information with other public health programs, medical providers, employers, and other affected individuals and groups
Possession of a valid American Heart Association Healthcare provider CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification and a valid AED (Automated External Defibrillator) certification is highly desirable for this position. Bilingual skills, especially Spanish are also highly desirable.
The successful candidate will also have demonstrated knowledge, abilities, and experience in the following competency areas:Technical Knowledge l Technical Experience
Interpersonal Skills l Relationship Building
- Experience providing case management and care coordination
- Knowledge and experience in interpreting and implementing federal, state, local, and grant program regulations and policies in a public health environment
- Knowledge of the 3 core functions and 10 essential services of public health
- Experience working with Electronic Medical Records
- Experience working collaboratively with other programs, agencies, individuals, families, communities or other community-based programs
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to collaborate with people from all cultures, socio-economic levels, ethnic background, and others
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with clients, medical professionals, peers, supervisors, and managers to achieve service goals.
Quality Improvement Analysis
- Ability to communicate effectively with medical professionals, community agencies, and public and private sector providers
- Ability to present information clearly and effectively in both oral and written forms of communications
- Ability to represent the program to individuals, groups, and community organizations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:License and Certificate Required:
- Understanding and working knowledge of collecting and analyzing data to track for continuous operational improvement
- Understanding of the use of a defined improvement process in public health
- Possession of a valid Registered Nurse License issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing
- Possession of a valid certificate as a Public Health Nurse issued by the California State Department of Health
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License (Class C or higher) may be required for some assignments
- Two years of experience as a licensed/certificated Public Health Nurse in an agency providing generalized public health nursing services. (A Master's Degree in nursing or public health may be substituted for one year of the required experience.)
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and their families, other programs and agencies, and the general public
- Independently provide skilled nursing care and complex case management/coordination services
Please click here
for more details regarding the minimum qualifications required for these classifications.PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The County of Orange is committed to providing a means for candidates who may have a disability to identify areas in which they may request a reasonable accommodation. The following is a description of the physical and mental abilities, which are customarily required to perform the essential job functions of this position. Candidates are encouraged to contact the recruiter listed for any questions or to request an accommodation during the testing/selection process.Physical Characteristics
Must have the body mobility to walk, climb stairs, reach, bend, twist, reach overhead and stoop; stamina to sit for a prolonged period of time (up to one hour); strength to lift and carry or push and pull objects such as boxes of nursing supplies or audiovisual equipment, which may weigh up to 25 lb.; manual dexterity to grasp, manipulate / operate small objects and precision instruments such as, but not limited to, giving injections without limitations or restrictions and taking pulse and blood pressure readings; fine motor skills and fine touch to palpate and discern skin induration and rashes; vision sufficient to read thermometers and calibrated measuring instruments, labels on medications, and the bevel of a needle; hearing for normal conversations and auscultation using a stethoscope; ability to work in diverse environments; and the ability to drive a car.Environmental Conditions
Will be required to work in clinic environment; wear protective equipment/clothing as required by protocol and may work with patients who have a communicable disease. For some programs work occurs primarily in the client's home. A high stress level is inherent in this position due to the nature and complexity of poverty and other psychosocial factors that impact the families served. Employees may have exposure to hazards in the field (driving, unfamiliar neighborhoods, inclement weather and clients).RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy. Application Appraisal l Application Rating (Weighted 100%)
Applications and supplemental responses will be evaluated for qualifications (related job knowledge, experience skills and/or abilities), that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that possess the desirable qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedure listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with any State or County Public Health Orders which may apply as follows:
- Workers who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, may be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, may be required to provide proof of vaccination . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted worker will be required to mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Order. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.Email NotificationEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Trish Fallon
at (714) 834-4635 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous