REGISTERED VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increaseOPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Registered Veterinary Technician vacancies within the County of Orange. DEADLINE TO APPLY
This recruitment will remain open on a continuous basis for a minimum of five (5) business days, until the needs of the County are met. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.OC COMMUNITY RESOURCES (OCCR)
The County of Orange
, OC Community Resources
is a multi-faceted department comprised of OC Animal Care, OC Community Services, OC Housing & Homeless Services, OC Parks, and OC Public Libraries.OC ANIMAL CARE OC Animal Care
promotes responsible pet ownership, health and safety of people and animals, and spay/neuter programs. OC Animal Care provides temporary shelter and medical care for "lost" owned or stray animals and opportunities for adoption of these animals. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) will be responsible for providing assistance in the Veterinary Services Unit with restraint for veterinary examinations, assisting in surgery with induction, prep, and recovery of surgical animals, administering medical care and medication prescribed by the veterinarian, monitoring animals for illnesses and injuries, reporting illnesses and injuries to the veterinarian, as well as, data entry for impounded animals.
Overall, duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Under direction of veterinarian, provides medical care and treatment to animals by assisting in conducting physical examinations, administering medications and immunizations, observing for clinical symptoms; and assisting with admissions, discharges and surgical releases, checking incisions; and checking and applying splints, clipping and bathing animals to remove mats, blood, tar or other materials detrimental to the animal's health
- Collects lab specimens including blood, urine, sputum, feces, and removes heads for rabies testing, etc.
- Assists the veterinarian in surgery by ensuring that correct equipment and instruments are at hand, that monitoring and support equipment such as anesthetic machines, monitors, scopes, breathing apparatus are operable and by sanitizing necessary equipment, instruments and the surgery area
- Renders emergency treatment to animals
- Maintains records of animal treatments and monitors the feeding, care and physical condition of animals under veterinary care
- Maintains an inventory of all pharmaceuticals, including controlled substances, and equipment and supplies
- Maintains effective relations with public. Answers routine to complex animal care questions
- Assists in departmental training programs by giving instruction in basic animal health matters
- Provides guidance and direction to veterinary assistants. Monitors work and trains new staff as appropriate
- Euthanizes impounded animals by the injection of appropriate substances when medical conditions or behavioral defects adversely affect the animal or public safety
In addition to the required Certificate of Registration as a Registered Veterinary Technician issued by the California Veterinary Medical Board, a successful candidate will also possess working experience providing medical care to animals. The ideal candidate will demonstrate extensive knowledge and/or related experience in the following core competencies:Technical Experience | Animal Care
Customer Service | Relationship Building
- Providing animal care medical services in a fast paced, high volume environment
- Providing medical care and treatment of ill and/or injured animals, including but not limited to: administering vaccinations, deworming treatments, providing medical treatments and diagnostic testing of sick and injured animals
- Performing animal health care services, including but not limited to: administering controlled medications, placing intravascular catheters, inducing anesthesia by inhalation and intravenous injection, applying casts and splints, and suturing existing skin incisions
- Euthanizing animals by injection of appropriate substances when deemed medically necessary
- Updating charts and providing documentation of animal care processes and protocol
- Providing after-care instructions to clients, volunteers, or animal shelter staff
Written | Oral Communication
- Providing clients with basic animal health instructions
- Providing guidance and direction to veterinary assistants or others regarding the care of animals
- Coordinating with the veterinarians regarding observations of ill or injured animals
- Effectively follows written and oral instructions
- Ability to interpret and apply oral/written instructions
- Comfortable communicating with members of the public variety of situations displaying social skill, awareness, and tact
- Maintain accurate recordkeeping and write reports.
Please click here
to view the minimum qualifications for Registered Veterinary Technician. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Possession of a valid Certificate of Registration as a Registered Veterinary Technician issued by the California Veterinary Medical Board. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all application materials for minimum and/or desirable qualifications. After screening, applicants who meet the minimum and/or desirable qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All applicants will be notified via email of their status in the process.Online Exam | Multiple Choice (Weighted 100%)
Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in a multiple-choice exam consisting of job-related questions. Candidates will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on to the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures above may be modified.
Candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with any State or County Public Health Orders which may apply as follows:
- Workers who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, may be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, may be required to provide proof of vaccination . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted worker will be required to mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Order. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. EMAIL NOTIFICATION Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.Questions?
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Lori Wright
or by email at Lori.Wright@occr.ocgov.com.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.