About Our Job
City Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Please Note: This position will remain open until it has been filled. Please apply as soon as possible.
The Denver Sheriff Department is the largest Sheriff Department agency in the state of Colorado and is comprised of many divisions and diverse operations with over 1000 uniformed and non-uniformed staff members. These operations include two separate jails, security for the District and County court systems, state inmate transportation, extradition duties, fugitive and K-9 units and security at DenverHealth Medical Center.
Are you searching for a job in the "Trades" that offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and a retirement plan?
Look no further! We are now accepting applications for a Facilities Maintenance Technician to join its Maintenance Division. This position will have a stable schedule of working 4 consecutive 10 hour shifts. This position will work at various locations including the Denver County Jail and the new Van Cise Simonet detention facilities. Because this position does work in the detention facilities, the selected individual will be working around detainees/inmates. Our facilities operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so applicants must be flexible and willing to work various shifts.
This position will primarily reside at the County Jail located on 10500 Smith Road Denver, CO or the Downtown Detention Center located on 490 W Colfax Ave Denver, CO 80204.
Successful candidates must complete and pass a background investigation that encompasses the applicant's employment and criminal history.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Performs journey level trades work in one trades area as well as performs standard level trades work in a variety of other trades areas, including welding, machining, cement finishing, painting, carpentry, masonry, mechanical maintenance, minor electrical, minor plumbing, minor heating and ventilating, minor air conditioning and/or refrigeration.
- Inspects facilities and equipment to identify construction, equipment, and mechanical needs; and, maintains records and prepares reports, which includes estimating materials, labor, and equipment costs.
- Works on projects involving the construction, maintenance, and repair of buildings and facilities.
- Operates and maintains lightweight and heavy equipment and vehicles in connection with assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Uses blueprints to sketch, plan, and design the installation, maintenance, and repair of machines, equipment, and facility structures.
- Assists other trades workers in the repair, maintenance and servicing of equipment and facilities. Observes all common safety practices.
- By position, participates in snow removal.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Any one position may not include all of the duties listed. However, the allocation of positions will be determined by the amount of time spent in performing the essential duties listed above.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Commercial service experience
- Comfortable with working in a jail setting
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability/desire to learn other skills
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of experience performing a variety of duties in construction, mechanical, or facility maintenance.
Education/Experience Equivalency: A combination of appropriate education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements.
License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.
By position, requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL ""B"") with appropriate endorsements by the end of probation.
By position, additional licenses or certifications that are legally required to perform a specific position's duties and responsibilities may be required at the time of application or by the end of probation depending on the staffing needs of the hiring department or agency.
Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.About Everything Else
CJ2523 Facility Maintenance Technician
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$23.91 - $35.86
Based on education and experience
Denver Sheriff Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here