About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by September 30, 2021. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Denver Parks & Recreation's Active Older Adults
(AOA) program engages adults ages 50+ in wellness, exercise, and leisure activities that support healthy aging. AOA programming includes aquatics, fitness, outdoor day trips, lunch trips, drop-in activities, clubs, arts & crafts, dance lessons and more!
Certified Fitness Instructor - Active Older Adults provide instruction in group fitness classes aimed at active older adults in the Denver community, demonstrating proper techniques and methods for participants and ensures a safe, fun and enriching fitness environment. This position provides the opportunity to obtain part-time work making a positive impact on the lives of Denver's active older adults, while staying fit and taking part in the fun! We are particularly seeking individuals to join the team at our Highland and Green Valley Ranch Recreation Centers.
Interested in getting your SilverSneakers Certification? Visit the Tivity instructor resource center for more information on becoming a SilverSneakers instructor: https://instructor.tivityhealth.com/
- Provides exceptional instruction to individuals of all fitness levels
- Demonstrates professional, safe, and effective class instruction while offering ongoing motivation and feedback to class participants
- Creates enthusiastic and energetic class environments while providing specific emphasis on safety and proper execution of movements
- Shows a willingness to answer questions and utilize positive conflict resolution skills
- Meets the outstanding customer service standards of Denver Parks and Recreation
- Instructs SilverSneakers class formats such as: Classic, CardioFit, Circuit, Yoga, Splash and BOOM
- Keeps current on all certifications and industry practices
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules.About You
We are looking for knowledgeable and enthusiastic fitness instructors who can provide engaging programming, with an eye for safety and fun! Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Current certification as a Group Fitness Instructor by a nationally recognized organization (such as but not limited to: ACE or AFAA) OR a current specialty fitness certification (such as but not limited to Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, Essentrics®, or cycling) by a nationally recognized organization
- Certification by Healthways in any of the following SilverSneakers class formats: Classic, CardioFit, Circuit, Yoga, Splash or BOOM
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification
- Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science, Community Health, Exercise Physiology or related field.
- Experience instructing SilverSneakers classes or fitness classes for active older adults
We realize that your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience Requirement: None
- Education/Experience Equivalency: None
- License/Certifications: Certification as an instructor and/or trainer in yoga, step aerobics, kick boxing, boot camp, hip-hop, interval training, sports performance, strength training, Pilates, Zumba, indoor cycling, core conditioning or any fitness area by a nationally recognized organization. Requires certification in CPR/First Aid at the time of application or within six months hire date. Licensure and certification must be kept current as a condition of employment
Note: If you currently possess a fitness certification and/or Silver Sneakers Certification, please include information regarding the certification name, date received, and if applicable expiration date. An attached copy of your certification can be submitted under the "Attachments" option and is highly preferred.About Everything Else
RG2111 Fitness Instructor Certified
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$20.10 - $27.64
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here