Under direction of the Community Services Director, is responsible for a variety of inspections and investigating complaints to ensure adherence to and identify violations of codes, ordinances and regulations to include short-term rentals. Duties also involve general code enforcement activities including, but not limited to, serving violation notices, preparing reports issuing sign permits, reviewing occupational licenses and inspecting construction sites. Performs other work as requested. Duties
- Monitors retail property reports, advertisements and registrations for compliance with City codes.
- Inspects all new building sites, subdivisions and wastewater facilities for completion and compliance with Land Development Codes, Flood, Vegetation and related ordinances, regulations and plans.
- Inspects all signs for compliance, issues sign permits; maintains sign records; prepares and presents requests for sign variances to City Council.
- Reviews and investigates Occupational License applications to ensure compliance with land use regulations, City codes and ordinances to include enforcement of existing regulations of dwelling unit rentals.
- Investigates ordinance violations, prepares and serves violation letters and notices, documents evidence, prepares reports, gives affidavits and testimony as required for enforcement proceedings, follows-up enforcement decisions to ensure compliance.
- Responds to and investigates complaints and serves written notices.
- Prepares reports and presents findings to City Council and Planning Commission as requested.
NOTE: The examples of essential functions as listed in this class specification are not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function of work does not preclude management from assigning a logical assignment to the position. Required Education, Experience, License, Registration, and Certification Qualifications
High school diploma or GED; supplemented by five (5) years experience in construction, land use/development, or code inspection/enforcement work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Valid Florida Driver's License
FACE Code Enforcement Certification within one year of employment
Exceptional computer skills required, preferably Microsoft Office Suite, Windows 10. Supplemental or Additional Information
- Knowledge of municipal laws, codes, ordinances and regulations and Land Development Code.
- Knowledge of enforcement procedures, judicial system, code and compliance boards.
- Knowledge of City streets and local area.
- Ability to work independently, to make sound decisions based on established procedures and municipal regulations.
- Ability to prepare and present oral and written reports, documents and testimony as requested.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with the public.
- Ability to handle complaints and enforce compliance with regulations in a courteous, efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Skills in reading building and development plans.