Description The Department:
The City of Palo Alto has a long and proud history of investing in Recreation. It is what makes Palo Alto a desirable place to live and work. Through diverse and innovative programs, Palo Alto Recreation plays an important role in creating a healthy community. The Position:
The City of Palo Alto is seeking a strong, creative, and dynamic leader in the role of Teen Center Staff at the Mitchell Park Community Teen Center. Through targeted enrichment programing, the Teen Center Staff helps to provide the space, resources, support, and opportunities for the Palo Alto youth to be empowered and thrive within their schools, homes, and communities. This is a Limited Hourly non-benefited position, not to exceed 415 hours per fiscal year.Essential Duties
- Maintain a positive, safe, and productive work environment by ensuring that the Teen Center and any other spaces used are neat, organized, and foster physical and emotional safety for all participants.
- Instruct participants on the safe and proper use of supplies and equipment.
- Review program work plans with Teen Center Site Director and Youth and Teen Services Coordinator for effective program implementation.
- Interact professionally and appropriately with parents, participants, and staff.
- Occasionally facilitate life skills and team-building activities for participants.
- Plan and lead organized enrichment activities for youth to develop and strengthen their academic, physical, and social skills.
- As needed, differentiate activities so they are appropriate to students with various abilities.
- Participate in and evaluate the effectiveness of activities and events.
- Participate in cleaning and maintaining the facilities and equipment.
- Participate in staff meetings and on-going training opportunities.
- Complete required forms, reports, and evaluations.
- Comply with all City of Palo Alto policies and procedures. Perform related duties as assigned.
At least one year's experience working with children in a formal setting.
- Demonstrated skill in youth instruction and leadership.
- Cleared background check and history indicating fitness to work with children.
- Negative TB Test results
- Energy, leadership skills, strong initiative, ability to motivate through positive reinforcement
- Availability to work after-school hours.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous