The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of EQUIPMENT SERVICE WORKER
to fill multiple vacancies in the FLEET DIVISION
of the GENERAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT .
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
Equipment Service Workers, under general supervision, perform semi-skilled preventative maintenance, mechanical repair and tire repair and replacements on a variety of diesel, compressed natural gas and gasoline powered automotive, construction and towed equipment; and do related work as required.
The ideal candidate(s) must be willing to work second shift from 3:00pm to 12:30am.
This recruitment will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received; however, candidates are encouraged to apply early in the process for optimal consideration. The first review of applications will take place on July 14, 2021 and every two weeks thereafter.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform on and off-site preventative maintenance inspections, entry level to semi-skilled diagnosis and repair mechanical defects on all but not limited to light and heavy duty vehicles, forklifts, refuse trucks, utility lifts and crane trucks, towed equipment, para-transit bus, sweepers, construction equipment, fire apparatus, police, and standby generators.
- Assist and participate in minor engine tune-ups, general repair and maintenance of a variety of automotive mechanical equipment.
- Perform brake inspections and replacements, cooling system services, engine, transmission and differential oil changes, tune-ups and valve adjustments.
- Inspect, maintain, breakdown, repair, mount and balance tires on various city vehicles and equipment.
- Participate in formal training as well as hands-on cross-training consisting of more complex vehicle and equipment repairs to increase skills and knowledge.
- Perform inspection and data information collection of newly purchased vehicles and equipment.
- Prepare vehicles for decommissioning and sales.
- Assist with pick-up and delivery of vehicles and equipment.
- Occasionally assist with emergency field repairs to vehicles and equipment.
- Maintain accurate computer based time and material records as well as work performed on all work.
- Perform routine, basic preventative maintenance on fire equipment and apparatus, compressed natural gas filling station and dispensing equipment on an as-needed basis.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
Education : High school graduation or satisfactory equivalent (GED). Supplemental specialized training in the maintenance and repair of gas and diesel-powered equipment is highly desirable.
Experience : One (1) year of experience in automotive servicing work. Experience servicing heavy-duty vehicles and equipment is highly desirable. Necessary Special Requirements:
Highly Desired Qualification:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid Class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Possession of an appropriate, valid Class "A" California Motor Vehicle Commercial Operator's License by the end of the probationary period (12 months).
- Possession of a current, valid, Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certificate is highly desirable. Successful completion of any two (2) ASE Series certification tests is required by the end of the probationary period (12 months). An additional two (2) ASE tests of the incumbents choosing within two (2) years of hire date. The incumbent must maintain all certifications acquired throughout employment.
Possession of an Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
Positions that require, or may require, a California Commercial Driver's License
are considered Safety Sensitive and are monitored by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Any candidate being considered for a Safety Sensitive position must submit authorization forms to the City immediately upon request to begin the pre-employment process.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.