The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Solid Waste Operator
to fill multiple vacancies in the Solid Waste Collection Division
of the Public Works Department .
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The Solid Waste Division consists of refuse collection, street sweeping, and Urban/Forestry Landscape operations. Approximately 68 employees are assigned to the Solid Waste Division located at the City of Riverside Corporation Yard. Refuse collection provides weekly residential pick up of trash, recycled, and green waste for approximately 80,000 residential homes, using both City and private hauler drivers. 28 routes are completed weekly using 41 CNG refuse trucks in a 4-day/10-hour work week. Additional collection events are held throughout the year including three citywide CURE Events and one Bulky Event. Street Sweeping is conducted twice a month along 60+ routes. Street Sweepers collect debris along the gutters covering approximately 600 miles twice each month. Urban/Forestry Landscape oversees approximately 167,000 trees and manages over 450 acres of landscaping throughout the 81 square miles of the City of Riverside.
The ideal candidate for the Solid Waste Operator position will be highly dependable, able to work a 5/40 or 4/10 schedule with some mandatory overtime, and will have experience with route-based operations. The selected individual will have experience and the ability to perform physical manual labor, and should have experience performing pre and post trip inspections of solid waste equipment. Successful candidates will also have excellent customer service abilities when dealing with the public, co-workers, and other internal staff.
Under general supervision to drive and operate scooter and rear loader trucks on a daily basis; perform manual and rear loader routes; to perform heavy manual work in the daily collection of trash and recyclable materials; identify and report damaged containers; provide customer service in the field; fulfill service requests; and to do related work as required.***First review of applications is September 9th and every two weeks thereafter, until the positions are filled.***
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pick up and empty trash and recyclable materials into large collection containers; empty containers into refuse truck; pickup other debris; operate mechanism for loading, compressing and dumping trash and recyclable materials.
- Direct driver in some movement of refuse truck in alleys, driveways and other locations; operate refuse scooter and rear loader truck as required.
- Complete pre-trip and post trip Daily Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR) and report mechanical and/or other problems to the Fleet Department and Solid Waste Supervisor.
- Operate scooter and rear loader truck for daily refuse collection activities.
- Tag trash and recycling when necessary to inform customers of proper collection procedures.
- Clean assigned vehicle daily.
- Prepare simple reports.
- Operate automated refuse trucks intermittently to pick up misses or during scheduled and unscheduled absences of Solid Waste Senior Operator.
- May fulfill service orders for can repairs and replacements.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
Education: High school graduation or satisfactory equivalent (GED).
Experience: Six months experience in heavy manual work.Necessary Special Requirement
Possession of an appropriate, valid class "B" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.Highly Desirable Requirements:
Please note : A physical agility test may be incorporated into the selection process in order to determine ability to lift 55 pounds, perform on manual routes, and perform various other heavy manual work.
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "A" or "B" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License with Air Brake Endorsement and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).
- At least one year of route-based driving experience.
- Ability to pass a physical agility examination for heavy manual labor.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying types of weather.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:1)
Completed Employment Application 2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire PLEASE NOTE: FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: (Application Guide).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
Positions that require, or may require, a California Commercial Driver's License
are considered Safety Sensitive and are monitored by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Any candidate being considered for a Safety Sensitive position must submit authorization forms to the City immediately upon request to begin the pre-employment process.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE :
The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.
THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.