Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not
intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. SUMMARY DESCRIPTION
Under supervision perform a variety of general cleaning and janitorial work; to keep assigned areas and City buildings in a clean and orderly condition; and to perform related work as required. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is a working level Custodian classification. Incumbents perform the full range of custodial duties in cleaning City buildings and facilities. Work is performed under general guidance and supervision. REPORTS TO
Public Works Supervisor - Facilities or designee. CLASSIFICATIONS SUPERVISED
This is not a supervisory classification. Examples of Duties REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
Typical Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS
- Inspect work areas, ensuring proper completion of assignments.
- Perform general custodial duties involved in cleaning, caring for, and maintaining assigned building and facilities; clean and sanitize offices, hallways, lobbies, restroom facilities, conference rooms, and breakrooms.
- Sweep, mop, wax, scrub and buff floors; empty and clean waste receptacles; clean and vacuum traffic areas, including rugs; spot and shampoo carpets; clean ceilings, walls, blinds, and light fixtures; remove cobwebs; and pressure wash outside buildings, sidewalks and surroundings.
- Dust and clean office furniture office equipment, and vents; clean upholstery, sofas and chairs; and wax and polish furniture, woodwork and metal work.
- Clean interior and exterior windows and glass doors, as needed.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment, as needed.
- Perform security checks of buildings and facilities; observe and report unauthorized persons in City facilities; and turns out lights and lock doors and windows.
- Turn off alarm in buildings, unlock gates to parkades and garages, unlock doors, and turn on power for elevators.
- Operate a variety of custodial equipment, including power and hand tools, scrubbers, buffers, waxers carpet cleaners, vacuums, extractors, high lifts and scissor lifts, and other equipment and machinery in a safe and effective manner; maintain equipment used during the course of work.
- Replenish and requisition supplies and materials, as needed; replace light bulbs and tubes; and collect and shred recyclable materials.
- Observe and report needed repairs to buildings and equipment.
- Maintain grounds and landscaped areas in the vicinity of buildings.
- May provide lead direction and work coordination for other custodial staff; provide training to new staff.
- Perform related duties as required.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties. Knowledge of:
Operations, services, and activities of a custodial program.
Operational characteristics of cleaning supplies and equipment.
Proper methods used in cleaning work.
Basic methods of materials, equipment and tools used in custodial and routine maintenance work.
Occupational hazards and safe work practice, including blood borne pathogens.
Safe use and storage of cleaning chemicals.
Proper methods of storing equipment, materials, and supplies.
Principles of work coordination and lead direction. Ability to:
Clean and care for an assigned area and equipment.
Perform a variety of custodial tasks.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Read and write at a level required for successful job performance.
Recognize and locate conditions which require maintenance and repair.
Monitor the need for a variety of custodial equipment and supplies.
Operate a variety of custodial and general grounds maintenance equipment, supplies, and materials in a safe and effective manner.
Perform minor repairs on custodial equipment.
Work on own initiative without close supervision.
Provide lead direction and work coordination for other custodial staff.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Education and Experience Guidelines
- Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Education/Training:
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance. Experience:
Some work experience in custodial work is desirable. License or Certificate:
Possession of an appropriate California Driver License. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions. Environment :
Work is performed in a building environment; some work may be performed outside in varying temperatures; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, and cleaning agents; some exposure to controlled and hazardous substances such as cleaning solvents and chemicals; and limited contact with staff and the public. Physical :
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility necessary to walk and stand for prolonged periods of time; stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, climb, reach and twist to pick up or move objects, office equipment, and furniture; physical ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs. without assistance; physical ability to lift and move heavier objects with assistance; normal manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected vision and hearing to normal range; verbal communication; and uses vacuum cleaners, scrubbers, buffers, waxing equipment, and basic hand tools.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous