The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 9/10/21, 11/12/21, 1/14/22
Park Maintenance Worker I performs assigned maintenance and repair work and may assist in, or directly instruct, temporary help in learning to perform assigned maintenance and repair tasks. These positions are typically found in areas under the administration of the Department of Regional Parks (formerly the Department of Parks and Recreation) or the Department of Airports, however positions may be used in other departments.Watch to explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- The proper methods of planting, cultivating, and caring for hedges, trees, shrubs, lawns and flowers
- Use and care of gardening materials, tools and equipment used in maintenance and repair of park and recreation facilities
- Fundamentals of basic plumbing and carpentry work
- Common safety practices and procedures
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Perform grounds maintenance and repair work
- Operate and maintain power equipment and vehicles, such as tractors and attachments
- Use and care for hand and power tools
- Identify potential safety hazards
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Count, add, subtract, and multiply two digit whole numbers
- Read, write and speak English at a level to satisfactorily perform the work
Six months full-time experience performing general grounds maintenance and repair work duties in Sacramento County service.Or
: One year of full-time paid experience performing general grounds maintenance and repair work that can be directly related to the knowledges and abilities prescribed for the class of Park Maintenance Worker I.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.General Qualifications
Minimum Age Requirement: Applicants must be eighteen years of age prior to appointment because of the hazards of the job, as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Driver's License: Possession of or ability to obtain a valid California Driver License, Class 3 (now Class C) or higher, before date of appointment.
Ability to obtain a Class 1 (now Class A) or Class 2 (now Class B) California Drivers License may be required of some jobs.
- Lift, carry, push and pull heavy objects such as cement and fertilizer bags
- Walk, stand, stoop and crouch for long periods
- Climb ladders
- Dig ditches and post holes
Working Conditions: Incumbents in these classes must be willing to work on weekends, evenings and holidays, to work outdoors in all kinds of weather, and to work at various locations throughout the County.
Background/Criminal History: Persons appointed to this class MAY be subject to a confidential criminal history check and fingerprinting.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply. County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response. Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous