The PositionThere is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 8/27/21, 9/29/21, 10/29/21, 11/29/21, 12/29/21, 1/28/22, 2/28/22, 3/29/22, 4/27/22, 5/27/22, 6/29/22 and 7/29/22 (final cut-off)
Supervising Registered Nurse is the first level supervisor who works under general administrative supervision of a higher level health program manager or facility manager, and receives medical direction as needed from a physician or higher level professional nurse such as a nurse practitioner.
The focus of duties is on supervising, planning, organizing and reviewing the operations, program, and personnel of a medical care unit staffed by registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses, and other support staff. Positions are typically limited to facilities where the organizational structure, work shifts, and large number of staff necessitate a first-line nursing supervisor. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Basic principles and practices of supervision and personnel management
- Professional registered nursing principles, procedures and techniques
- State of California laws and regulations on nursing practices
- Normal course of illnesses and disabilities, and their treatment
- Family planning methods
- Pre-natal, pregnancy and post-natal medical care, infant and child care, growth, and development, including common illnesses
- Substance abuse symptoms and medical intervention techniques
- Mental illness symptoms and intervention techniques
- Symptoms, prevention, reporting requirements and treatment of child and adult abuse and neglect
- Techniques of planning and conducting classes and training sessions on a variety of health subjects
- Individual and group counseling techniques
- Common public and community health care resources
- Social and economic factors influencing individual an community health
- Differing cultural, religious and social attitudes about hygiene, family planning, child care, and health treatment
- Proper handling and administering of biologicals
- Detection and treatment of common communicable diseases, environmentally based illnesses, sexually transmitted diseases, and food and water-borne illnesses
- Standard medical record-keeping
- Common drugs and medications used for birth control, communicable diseases, immunizations, allergies, cardio-vascular conditions, and substance overdoses, including their contra-indications and normal and abnormal results
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications1.
- Supervise and train employees
- Effectively recommend employee selections, promotions, status changes and other personnel actions
- Plan, organize and control work of staff
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for work unit in accordance with department goals, policies and procedures
- Learn, comply with, and ensure staff compliance with laws, rules, regulations, protocols, and procedures, including security requirements, applicable to the work unit
- Effectively communicate with and gain the cooperation of patients of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
- Work cooperatively with other health and social service providers, and staff of other work units and departments
- Effectively plan, conduct, and participate in in-service education and training programs
- Maintain patient confidentiality
Possession of a current valid Registered Nurse license issued by the State of California. (NOTE: Failure to maintain such license may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.) AND2.
Either: One year or experience in Sacramento County service as a Registered Nurse or any class requiring registered nurse licensure.Or:
Two years of experience as a registered nurse.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.EducationNote:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Notes:
- Experience requirements are stated as full-time work; to convert part-time to full-time equivalency: 173.6 hours = 21.7 days = 1 work month.
- Required experience may be paid or unpaid.
- Persons appointed to this position may be required to regularly or periodically work evenings, nights, and weekends and holidays.
- Persons appointed to this position may be subject to a confidential criminal history check and fingerprinting.
- Persons appointed to this position will be required to have, or obtain, and maintain a valid CPR certificate.
- Persons appointed to this position may be required to have or obtain a valid hearing testing certificate, emergency first aid certificate, and/or other speciality training appropriate to Registered Nurses and necessary in their job assignment.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the final cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous