Salary: $16.40 - $16.67 Hourly USD
The City of Santa Clara Parks & Recreation Department is hiring for Instructor/Lifeguards.
To apply for this position, submit a 1) Completed City Application ,2) Current Resume and 3) Supplemental Questions. This recruitment will be open until filled and applications will be reviewed periodically.
The department will review applications and only contact the applicants that best meet the needs for their current opening .
This position is an as-needed, non-benefitted position and has an hour limitation of 999 hours in a fiscal year.
The Instructor-Lifeguard functions as both a swimming instructor and a lifeguard at a City swimming pool. An incumbent conducts classes at all participant skill levels (beginning through advanced) and supervises the conduct of swimmers in City pools in order to maintain a safe environment. This class is distinguished from the Lifeguard in that the latter has a sole focus on lifeguard responsibilities.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
• Conducts swimming instruction classes at various participant age and skill levels
• Administers practical swimming tests to determine participants' skill levels
• Maintains class participant attendance, activity, and progress records
• Observes swimmers at a City operated swimming pool; warning those who violate pool safety rules, and expelling them, if necessary, for willful disobedience
• Maintains a safe but enjoyable poolside atmosphere for participants by continuously monitoring pool facility for potential problems or dangerous situations
• Rescues swimmers who are in distress; administers first aid and artificial respiration, if necessary, according to prescribed methods
• Cleans, disinfects, and maintains the pool, pool decks, overflow gutter, shower rooms and other pool facility areas
• Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Education equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; and
• No experience required; and
• Must be at least 16 years of age at time of application
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES
Possession of the following is required:
• A valid American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certificate or Completion of City of Santa Clara Learn To Swim Instruction Program; and
• A valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certificate; and
• In accordance with State of California law, a valid California Work Permit is required at time of appointment for candidates under the age of 18 who have not graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate of proficiency
• As a condition of employment, incumbents will be required to be fingerprinted in accordance with State of California law
• Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of:
• Swimming techniques
• Principles and techniques of swimming instruction appropriate for various age groups
• Approved lifesaving and safety methods and procedures necessary to ensure public safety in and around a pool facility
Considerable ability to:
• Teach to others the theory and application of swimming techniques
• Swim skillfully, rescue submerged victims, and safely remove them from pool
• Immediately evaluate emergency situations and respond decisively and effectively
• Administer first aid and artificial respiration according to prescribed methods
• Instruct in the techniques of swimming and lifesaving
• Maintain poolside discipline and safety
Ability to :
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including children
• Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
• Learn the proper placement of all safety equipment and its proper use
• Learn the location and proper use of the emergency telephone numbers list
• Become familiar with the basic mechanical operation and maintenance program of the City pools
Santa Clara, California