Under general supervision, performs standard police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Plans and executes investigative strategies and approaches primarily related to major criminal investigations, including officer involved shootings, sex crimes, and homicides.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Investigates assigned cases, including sex crimes and homicides.
- Interviews complainants, witnesses, informants, suspects, City employees, and outside law enforcement officials.
- Conducts follow-up investigations and interviews complainants, victims, witnesses, informants and suspects.
- Analyzes documentary materials including complex police investigations and supporting documentation.
- Prepares oral and written reports relating to a wide variety of law enforcement practices and procedures.
- Responds to citizens' requests for assistance, detects crime, apprehends violators, and ensures public safety.
- Communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases.
- Maintains grooming standards, equipment, and vehicle according to department standards.
- Acts as liaison for department staff, outside agencies, and citizens making appropriate referrals.
- Enforces local, state and federal laws, and municipal code.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for service; interrogates and communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases.
- Completes detailed reports and required paperwork.
- Arrests law violators; transports and processes suspects, victims and prisoners; serves arrest and search warrants; serves and enforces orders of protection.
- Represents the City police at court hearings; prepares reports and testifies in court cases.
- Investigates crimes and accidents as required; secures and processes crime and accident scenes; identifies and collects evidence.
- Presents education and information through community and school awareness projects; counsels citizens on law enforcement activities, programs and referral resources.
- Assists other Police personnel, outside organizations and businesses, and Federal, state and local law enforcement organizations.
- Maintains the integrity, professionalism, philosophies, attitudes, and values of the Police Department by assuring that all rules and regulations are followed.
- May work special assignments including, but not limited to, Patrol, Training Officer, Terrorism Liaison Officer, Traffic Unit Officer, Public Liaison Officer, School Resource Officer, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements Education and Experience:
I n-State Laterals (Current AZPOST Certification)
High school diploma or GED equivalent; current or prior Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification (or out-of-state current or prior certification); completion of Arizona POST Academy; completion of an FTO program and probation period; and currently certified as an AZPOST Peace Officer with two consecutive years as a full-time sworn police officer.Preferred:
Police Officer investigative experience working with officer involved shootings, sex crimes, or homicides.
Out-of-State Laterals (Waiver Process Required)
High school diploma or GED equivalent; completion of Arizona POST Academy OR other law enforcement academy with substantially similar curricula; completion of an FTO program and probation period; and current or previous experience of two consecutive years as a full-time sworn police officer. Continued employment is contingent upon AZPOST-approval of waiver application. NECESSARY SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Police Department policies and procedures
- City, county, state and federal laws, regulations and ordinances
- The geography of the city and surrounding areas, and the location of important buildings and landmarks
- Criminal justice and court systems, procedures and protocols
- Investigative procedures, and protocols for observation of critical details
- Hazardous chemicals and materials, first aid and CPR
- Basic criminal law, including the apprehension, arrest, and custody of persons committing misdemeanors and felonies, and the preservation and presentation of evidence in traffic and criminal cases
- Principles of record keeping and records management
- Interpreting laws and regulations, making independent decisions, maintaining composure, and working effectively under stressful conditions and emergency situations
- Exercising controlled discretion in communicating with criminal suspects, and mediating difficult situations
- Gathering and evaluating facts and evidence, drawing logical conclusions and making proper recommendations
- Using and maintaining a variety of firearms and special law enforcement equipment
- Operating motor vehicles during emergency, high-risk situations
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds
- Operating a personal computer and software applications
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions
Current or prior Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification (or out-of-state current or prior certification), must be able to pass AZ POST waiver process; must possess State of Arizona Driver's license, and clear criminal record. Ability to type 20 words per minute preferred. Must successfully pass pre-employment screening, including a thorough background investigation, medical, polygraph and psychological exam.
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous