The purpose of this position is to operatevarious types of equipment in order to maintain the City's sidewalks andstreets. An equipment operator in streets may work in any one of these keyareas: Asphalt Crew, Drainage Crew or with the Concrete Crew based onexperience and ability. Thisposition will be working in the Concrete Crew
This is accomplished by operating various equipment; maintaining streets and sidewalks throughout the City; laying drainage pipes; cleaning storm drains and drainage channels; performing code work; installing new guardrails; and completing roadwork for new construction. Other duties include performing preventative maintenance on equipment; and interacting with other City employees and citizens Essential Job Functions
- Loads materials by running equipment such as: backhoe, rubber tire loaders, concrete breaker, concrete saw and dump trucks.
- Maintains streets and sidewalks throughout the City by sawing, breaking, digging, and setting forms; pouring and finishing concrete work; cutting and tying steel, etc.
- Completes roadwork for new construction by assisting in setting grade elevations; compacting sub base; water sub base; shoveling and picking to assist in making grades.
- Performs preventative maintenance by inspecting and performing required maintenance and repairs of all equipment used.
- High School Diploma or GED required to be considered.
- 1 year of experience required to be considered. Experience may be direct experience in Concrete OR related experience which may include work typically outdoors including use of tools and/or machinery, construction work, warehouse work using forklifts or other similar type experience.
- Valid Class A CDL Driver's License preferred or ability to obtain within 180 days.
- Ability to read basic papers, instructions, directions etc.
- Ability to deal with numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement.
- Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses.
- The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees.
- Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
- Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
Work may include any day of the week, after hours or on weekends as needed to complete work or to assist in special projects.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous