The Napa Valley Career OpportunityCOUNTY OF NAPACounty CounselSalary: $228,072 - $277,201The County of Napa seeks a County Counsel
who is experienced in providing legal services to county government elected and executive leadership regarding land use (including CEQA), civil litigation, and employment law, and other municipal law matters. The ideal candidate will provide legal advice, assistance, and representation on civil legal matters to the County, its departments, and special districts by providing legal options, rather than dictating policy. Qualified candidates will be active members of the California State Bar, be strong, visionary leaders, and have extensive, highly responsible experience serving California public sector organizations. The next County Counsel will be a collaborative team player, a zealous advocate for their clients and committed to and passionate about living in and serving Napa County. See the full recruitment brochure: https://indd.adobe.com/view/5cd7b12a-761f-4ecb-a8b3-52caffe20dd9 THE POSITION
The County Counsel is appointed by the Board of Supervisors and oversees an annual budget of approximately $5 million and a staff of 20. Of the total appropriation, approximately $400,000 is programmed for outside legal services. This position will direct the operations of the Office, provide complex legal advice to County leadership, and serve as the chief civil law officer of the County. County Counsel is proactive in all phases of governmental decision-making, oversees an active trial litigation program, renders legal opinions, and prepares contracts, resolutions, and ordinances.
This is a great leadership opportunity to oversee diverse legal matters for a variety of industries in a municipal organization: land use, zoning, environmental, personnel, labor, health and human services, public safety, jail operations, construction, water, taxation, elections, homelessness, probate, conservatorships, litigation, appeals, legislation, contracts, joint powers agreement, etc. Additionally, the Office of the County Counsel advises and makes an impact on people’s lives through social, political, and legal issues affecting our County and our constituents. THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The County seeks an experienced leader who is an innovative problem solver, isn’t afraid to question the status quo, serves as a partner to County leadership including elected officials, and finds legal pathways to accomplish policy goals. The ideal candidate will promote excellence in delivery of government services contributing to the health, safety and welfare of all County residents and visitors. Your legal background should include:
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Ten years of increasing responsible experience as an attorney including five years of experience in California municipal law that includes trial experience and administrative and supervisory responsibility.
- Legal experience in a California County Counsel’s Office with planning and zoning, personnel and labor law, social services, or special districts is desirable.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association with a juris doctorate degree.
- Active membership in the California State Bar Association.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
The annual salary for this position is $228,072 - $277,201 DOE/DOQ. In addition, Napa County offers an attractive benefits package. HOW TO APPLY: This position will be open until the needs of the county are met, for first consideration apply by March 16th at:
SECURE THE DATES:
- Virtual interviews will take place on April 8th. Final in-person interviews with the CEO & Board of Supervisors will take place on April 25th & 26th. Selected candidates must be available for all interview dates.
Contact your recruiter, Wendi Brown with questions:
- 866-929-WBCP (9227)
Non-Classified - Appointed
Closing Date/Time: Continuous