Assistant Professor School/Department Name:
School of Information Systems & Technology Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule
. See Benefits Summary
for details about the CSU's excellent employment benefits. Application Deadline:
October 11, 2021 (Applications accepted until filled or closed) Target Start Date:
The School of Information Systems & Technology (SISTech) at San José State University (SJSU) invites applications for an Assistant Professor with expertise in one or more of the following areas: Databases, networking, programming, and business applications of IS, or emerging technologies such as those related to data visualization, big data, cybersecurity, data analytics, edge computing, and artificial intelligence (AI).
SISTech resides in SJSU's Lucas College and Graduate School of Business. We prepare students to excel professionally and contribute meaningfully to society through the undergraduate MIS concentration within the Business major. Our program reflects IS best practices and provides students with the tools they will need to succeed today and tomorrow. Our location in Silicon Valley provides both students and faculty with unparalleled opportunities to engage with leading technology firms. Our tenured and tenure-track faculty are solid contributors to academic literature and our clinical faculty represent years of experience at some of the leading companies in the area. Consequently, our students are well-represented throughout the high-tech and non-tech industries locally and beyond. To learn more about our school, programs, and faculty, please visit our SISTech website
SISTech and SJSU value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university's commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines
, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- A PhD in Management Information Systems, Information Science, Computer Information Systems, or related area, from an appropriately accredited institution
- Applicant must be academically qualified according to AACSB standards
- Demonstrated ability and motivation to engage in quality research and engage in teaching excellence
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a socially and economically diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
Priority will be given to candidates who possess one or more of the following:
- Ability to teach a variety of traditional Information Systems courses
- Expertise in Big Data, Data Analytics, or Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Maintain ongoing research activity providing valued contributions relevant to the IS academic community, including peer-reviewed journal papers and conference proceedings, etc.
- Deliver engaging, relevant, and timely learning experiences that contribute meaningfully to our students' professional readiness for high-impact careers in IS.
- Participate in curriculum development and teaching to meet the needs of the program and its diverse student population
- Work effectively in teams, demonstrating excellent communication, collegiality, and interpersonal skills.
- The candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Diversity statement
- Statement of teaching interests/philosophy (1-2 pages) that describes what role faculty play in student success
- Statement of research plans and interests (1 page maximum)
- Provide 3 references we may contact for letters
Inquiries may be directed to the SISTech Director, Dr. Leslie Albert (email@example.com).Conditional Offer
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San José State University
is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled