For more than five decades, the College of Business at Sacramento State has consistently achieved its fundamental goal - to cultivate excellence in its graduates and to develop business leaders possessing not only top management skills, but also a broad understanding of their responsibilities to business and their community. The College of Business has maintained its accreditation under the stringent standards of the AACSB since 1963. In the course of our history, the COB has produced nearly 50,000 total graduates through our undergraduate BS program and our innovative graduate programs which currently include: MBA, Executive MBA, iMBA, MS Accountancy, MS Business Analytics and MS Finance. We believe about 70 percent of our alumni remain in the Sacramento region, fueling the success of our culturally rich and vibrant economy. DEPARTMENT:
Information Systems & Business Analytics POSITION TITLE:
Assistant Professor DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
The Department of Information Systems and Business Analytics provides information systems and business analytics courses to the College of Business majors. The department also provides a Management Information Systems concentration and has recently launched an undergraduate concentration in Business Analytics as well as an MS in Business Analytics.
The Business Analytics concentration prepares students to connect data and analytical models to substantive business problems so better business decisions can be made. The program focuses on using quantitative approaches to help improve decision making and performance in business. To better understand business situations, students focus on collecting and analyzing data, drawing on computer technology, statistics, applied mathematics, and machine learning techniques. The program covers database, data visualization tools and techniques, statistical modeling, data mining, optimization, simulation, and their applications in business disciplines such as accounting, finance, human resources, insurance, management, and marketing. POSITION DETAILS:
The incumbent is expected to provide innovative and cutting-edge teaching and evidence of a strong publication record or potential in Decision Sciences/Business Analytics related fields such as data analytics, data mining, Big Data management, and Big Data technologies, as well as play an active role in maintaining and developing student engagement in Decision Sciences and Business Analytics curriculum; advising, coaching and mentoring students; and serving on department, college, and university-wide committees. We are seeking candidates who have a passion for taking leadership roles in developing new innovative programs, promoting a research environment within the Department, supporting the University, as well as partnerships with the community to enhance the social, economic, and cultural conditions of the region and beyond. Qualified candidates must demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring a diverse student population and to working effectively with faculty, staff and students across a wide range of disciplines JOB DUTIES:
- Teaching Graduate and Undergraduate Courses in Decision Sciences/Business Analytics (in traditional, hybrid, and on-line modalities);
- Scholarly and Creative Activities (with an emphasis on publication of peer reviewed articles);
- Service/Contributions to the Institution;
- Service/Contributions to the Community;
- Student Advising;
- Curriculum program development;
- Supervise student (graduate and undergraduate) research.
- A doctorate by June 2023 in a Decision Sciences related discipline such as quantitative methods, business statistics, business analytics, quantitative analysis, from a business program.
- ABD applicants will be considered. If ABD, all requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed by June 2023.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge of data analytics, data mining, and machine learning.
- Demonstrated ability to use analytics technology, software, and programming languages in teaching and applied learning settings.
- Experience with or ability to work with a diverse student population.
- Record of or potential for research and peer-reviewed publications in a Decision Sciences related discipline.
Doctorate is obtained (by June 2023 if ABD) from a business program accredited by AACSB International, AMBA, EQUIS or an equivalent business program accreditation body.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Experience:
- Demonstrated record of teaching, research, and professional experience in data analytics, data mining, Big Data management, and Big Data technologies.
- Interest in and/or experience with leading curriculum development processes for academic and professional development programs reflecting the contemporary landscape in applied data analytics in a range of business areas.
- A record of, or potential for, developing relationships with the business community.
- Interest in and/or experience with teaching online courses
- Demonstrated ability to develop graduate and undergraduate research projects/lead graduate and
- undergraduate teams.
- A record of, or potential for, effective collaboration with peers within the college and across the university.
Review of applications will begin October 28, 2021, and the position will remain open until filled.
- Cover letter that addresses the required and preferred qualifications including teaching philosophy, list of scholarly accomplishments, and research work plan.
- Current curriculum vita/resume.
- Unofficial transcripts of all college work.
- Diversity Statement, which may include your interpretation of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and must include specific examples of how your background and your educational and/or professional experiences have prepared you for this role at California State University, Sacramento.
THE SYSTEM WILL ONLY ACCEPT 1 PDF FILE FOR EACH OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO APPLY.
California State University, Sacramento College of Business faculty members usually attend the following conferences: Joint Statistical Meetings and INFORMS Annual Meeting and will be available to answer questions about this opportunity. If you would like more information about the position, please contact Professor Min Li at Min.Li@csus.edu.
For technical difficulties, please contact the Office of Faculty Advancement at email@example.com. OTHER SPECIFICS ABOUT THE POSITION (Optional):
Salary is dependent on qualifications and professional experience. Academic preparation, record of research and peer-reviewed publications, and professional experience will be considered. Summer research grants, moving expenses, and a reduced teaching load may be available. About Sacramento State Sacramento State
is located in the heart of California's capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the "Farm-to-Fork Capital," is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State's 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: "As California's capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement." As the regional hub of higher education, Sacramento State is dedicated to student success
, diversity, equity and inclusion
, community engagement
, and campus safety
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code
, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State?
page. Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/benefits/disability-parental-leave.html#reasonable-accommodations-interactive-process
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.html
. Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union. Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency ( ie. H-1-B Visa).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled