The Wellness and Health Promotion (WHP) department supports the mission of the Student Wellness Center by providing wellness and preventive health consultations, public health programming, and other services. Reporting to the Senior Director of Well-Being, Counseling, and Psychological Services and working in collaboration with other SWC/Campus Staff and Faculty, the Associate Director of Campus Wellness Education will collaborate to support and/or develop theory-informed and evidence-based programs based on measurable learning outcomes to improve individual and community health behaviors and status. The Associate Director will support individual, group, and population-based health promotion a vision for SJSU students and will integrate cultural competencies and social justice principles.
The Associate Director will lead projects to support WHP goals that align with established goals for the Division of Student Affairs and SJSU strategy. The Associate Director will also be assigned oversight of health content areas such as, violence prevention; sexual wellness; alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs; stress management; sleep; men's health; multicultural health issues; nutrition and body image.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ensure department compliance with applicable campus, CSU, state, federal laws and accrediting procedures.
- Manage staff hiring, establishing performance goals, and providing performance feedback and evaluations.
- Oversee the Peer Health Education program, including the recruitment, appointment, and performance evaluations and feedback of student employees and volunteers.
- Serve on multiple university committees, including the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC).
- Write reports for a range of audiences (Chancellor's Office, DSA, and Faculty, Students)
- Collaborate to build theory informed, evidence-based health promotion strategies, policies and programs.
- Collaborate on the strategic direction, implementation and evaluation of a culturally competent portfolio of communication strategies designed to improve health knowledge, promote health behaviors while supporting a healthy campus climate.
- Ability to develop educational programs based on learning needs assessment; to determine problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; to develop improvement plans based on assessment; to be sensitive and responsive to student needs; in assessing operation, technical, and communication activities in an educational setting and use of assessment results to make changes in services to students; to identify all strategic goals and plans to enhance student success and customer service; and write clear reports, correspondence, and procedure guidelines
- Knowledge of strategies for assessment of individual learning and behavior change; clinical and personnel applications of multiple aspects of diversity (e.g., sexual orientation, transgender, religious practices, disabilities and racial and ethnic diversity)
- Advanced knowledge of administration and management protocol, conflict resolution strategies
- A Master's degree in Public Health, Health Promotion, Higher Education, or a related field
- Equivalent to 1 or more years of progressively responsible health education experience or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities of working with a college population
- Experience developing and evaluating effective, evidence-based programming and services
- Expertise in two or more relevant college health content areas
- Experience in cultural competencies necessary to foster learning in a diverse setting
- A Doctoral degree in Public Health, Health Promotion, Higher Education, or a related field
- Equivalent to 3 or more years of progressively responsible health education experience or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities of working with a college population for Master's degree candidates
- Equivalent to 1 or more years of progressively responsible health education experience or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities of working with a college population for Doctoral candidates
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 29, 2021 through October 17, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled