The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Wastewater Control Systems Technician
to fill one (1) vacancy in the Wastewater Division
of the Public Works Department .
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The ideal candidate will have strong PLC and SCADA programming skills as well as some wastewater plant experience. Some experience with Microsoft Server Operating system software, Wonderware software, single and multimode fiber, and Layer 2 switches would be a plus as well. The City recently completed a $192 million dollar modernization of the 46 MGD wastewater facility located at 5950 Acorn Street Riverside, CA 92504. The project included advanced treatment systems and new technology. This plant expansion introduced several new technologies designed to produce high quality effluent water and increase the plant's efficiency.
The ideal candidate will have experience:
Pulling, terminating, and testing Cat5e/Cat6 cabling
- Installing and troubleshooting thin clients
- Troubleshooting PLC/Process issues alone or in teams of electrician/instrument tech/scada
- Monitoring servers and network equipment for proper operation
- Troubleshooting and testing lift station RTU equipment and controls
- Analyzing PLC and SCADA programs, modifying PLC and SCADA code
- Troubleshooting and testing fiber optic cabling using VFL, OTDR, and Optical Power Meters
- Retrofitting PLC processors and I/O in a working process environment
Wastewater Control System Technicians, under general supervision, perform work in the maintenance and repair of automated wastewater control equipment and the routine testing and adjustment of control systems; assist in control system design, installation and programming of the control system computer; and do related work as required.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in the testing and initial start-up of control and telemetering systems.
- Work with telephone company personnel in the installation, modification and troubleshooting of telemetry circuits.
- Install and configure network switches.
- Assist in the testing and adjusting of recording equipment and telemetering circuits.
- Work with contractors in the installation and modification for the supervisory control and data acquisition system (SCADA) software.
- Maintain, repair and replace control equipment, including electrical metering, switchgear, motors and pumps.
- Assist in the development of plans and specifications for the purchase and installation of control system equipment.
- Troubleshoot, repair and test fiber optic network connections.
- Assist in the programming of additions and changes for the control system computer.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade and course work or specialized classes covering electronics, computer programming, fiber optics or a related topic which could provide the necessary skills.
Experience: One year of experience in electronic telephone circuitry and radio systems related to telemetry.Necessary Special Requirement:
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- One year of experience in manufacturing or industrial electronic SCADA, PLC, Instrumentation/control, network infrastructure, related software, telephone circuitry and wireless systems related to telemetry.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental QuestionnairePLEASE NOTE : FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: (Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.