Cinema and Television Arts Faculty Hire Number:
Assistant Professor, Full-time, Tenure Track Effective Date of Appointment:
August 24, 2022 (Subject to Budgetary Approval) Salary:
Dependent upon qualifications CSUN's Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.edu About the College:
For more information about the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication, see: https://www.csun.edu/mike-curb-arts-media-communication About the Department:
For more information about the Department of Department of Cinema and Television Arts, see: https://www.csun.edu/mike-curb-arts-media-communication/cinema-television-arts Position:
The Department of Cinema and Television Arts at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member in interactive media production at the rank of Assistant Professor.
The successful candidate will teach interactive media production and other emerging media technologies and have research interests in areas such as XR production, game development and interactive storytelling with a record of a creative practice to contribute to the vision, development, and growth of the Emerging Media Production Option.
For reappointment, tenure, and promotion, emphasis will be placed on teaching effectiveness, scholarly and creative achievement, and service to the University and community. Participation in the development and growth of the Emerging Media Production Option is expected. Teaching introductory and upper-level courses in the Emerging Media Production Option, conducting and disseminating discipline-specific research and/or creative work, advising students, developing curriculum, and participating in faculty governance is expected.
In addition, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and service to the department, college, and university. Required Qualifications:
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN's commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service.
- Terminal degree or post-baccalaureate training and expertise relevant to requirements for the Master of Fine Arts degree from an accredited institution is required, in a field such as media arts, film, animation, games, computer science, digital arts, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise with tools for authoring media in XR environments.
- Evidence of creative activity in one or more of the following areas: immersive and interactive storytelling, worldbuilding, game design/production/development and other interactive media or production.
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the university or college level using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to equitable outcomes for all students.
- Experience or clear potential to foster both experimental and commercial applications of XR production.
- Evidence of or clear potential for learning and teaching new technologies and developing curriculum.
- Evidence of or clear potential in teaching and collaborating across disciplines.
- Additional teaching experience and/or creative research in one or more of the following: virtual/augmented/mixed reality, virtual production, projection mapping, web VR, 3D scanning, AI or procedural animation using C#, or other scripting languages in combination with 3D or interactive platforms.
- Experience adopting inclusive approaches to a creative research practice.
- Demonstrated effective engagement with and mentoring of diverse students.
Screening of applications will begin November 15, 2021
. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled. How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement on achieving student success and the names of three references who can address the candidate's teaching, research, and service qualifications. In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials, including letters of recommendation, professional work samples, and work produced through student mentoring.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States. General Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here
. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083
as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096
. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Department of Cinema and Television Arts at (818) 677-3192.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled